Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is required to add AC to a non AC t-roof car? I have access to a
91lx 4cyl AC car, for any parts needed? Anybody have any good links or info?

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
there is pretty much nothing to use from it.

Buy new components, buying old used will not work very well.

·
Registered
980 Posts
other than the brackets for the compressor and front of the motor everything should except the hoses. I'm looking into that now I'm pulling a 4 banger and installing a V-8 and want to keep my air. I have installed air on a few cars using used parts and everything worked out nice.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
you need the AC components under the dash though right? the air box, etc. The climate controls, etc. right/

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
the under the dash components should be the same and probably the compressor. dryer and accumulator would most likely be different.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Get a whole set of new parts for R134. It is expensive but worth it if you want and need air conditioning. Second choice is to sell you vehicle and buy one which already have the a/c.

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
compressor, hoses, evap, condenser, ARE NOT THE same.

buy new.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I called a parts store and they said the compressor were the same I have check at a lot of places and the only parts I have found to be different on the V-8 and 4 cylinder cars with air conditioning were the hoses even the stuff inside the dash seems to be the same. And the V-8 and the 4 cyl take the same condenser. Some of us build our cars from bone yard parts and they come out nice. And some spend tons of money and buy big buck kits and just assemble them.
Ok,, checked with the autoZone web sight and the evaporators are the same 89-93 4 cylinder or V-8 Part 6111N and the condensers are the same part 635540
and the compressors are the same part 58581
the brackets and hoses are not the same as I said
I have installed air on a few cars using junk yard parts and it's not that bad. It's an all day (or two) job but it was worth it. And yes you need to pull the dash,, But hey if your going to do it then just do it--it's not that bad if you take your time. And remember as you remove the parts seal the ends good with duct tape or what ever to keep the moister out. If your on a budjet and don't mind getting your hands dirty thats the way to go

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The compressor is NOT the same, nor are the hose. The box under the dash is the same as well as the condensor. I am doing a EFI 351 in my 92 2.3 car as we speak and can tell you from experience. Auto zones listings are wrong if they say the compressor is the same from a 2.3 to a 5.0

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
thought I already said this?

And you don't use bone yard parts for a/c building, contamination is a small problem when it comes to a/c.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts