Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit two milestones this year: Over 1,000 track miles in one year, and over 10,000 miles in my lifetime. And despite the driving assclownery only partially captured in the video, I kept knocking time off each session, taking a whopping 3 seconds off my prior personal best at Arizona Motorsports Park, which I had set just last weekend. That was a 1:54.7 and I managed a 1:51.99 this time, with absolutely no change in equipment. But the miles...I've been looking forward to 10k for a long time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice, congrats! 1000 Miles per year is no joke when you really sit back and think about it. How many track outings did that take you?

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, congrats! 1000 Miles per year is no joke when you really sit back and think about it. How many track outings did that take you?
13 track days this year. And I actually skipped several that I would have liked to attend. But that's one of the main reasons I don't actually WTW race. If I was chasing a trophy, there would be events I would think I "couldn't" miss. Doing what I do, meh...if I want to go with my son on a Boy Scouts trip, or go on vacation, or stay the #### home, I don't have any pressure.

Thing is, since I've lived in AZ, I've noticed that I generally get about 80 track miles a day, because on most cases I'm also instructing. And it's a pretty full day. When I lived in KC, for whatever reason, I generally got 100 miles and oftentimes 150 miles a day.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mostly Heartland Park and Mid-America Motorplex or whatever it's called now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello MFE. Longtime member here and on svtp and didn't realize you were from KC:) I found out that the new owners of Heartland

just spent millions repaving the road course to scca standards. I'm in the process of getting my 93 Coupe painted and a complete MM

system installed on it this winter so I'm excited about going on a road coarse for the first time. Hoping to find some autocross events

as well.

·
Registered
803 Posts
That is quite an achievement MFE. You track your mileage every event? That is discipline.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Congratulations MFE! Most of us can only dream of hitting that number. Pretty amazing with shaving that much time too.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hello MFE. Longtime member here and on svtp and didn't realize you were from KC:) I found out that the new owners of Heartland

just spent millions repaving the road course to scca standards. I'm in the process of getting my 93 Coupe painted and a complete MM

system installed on it this winter so I'm excited about going on a road coarse for the first time. Hoping to find some autocross events

as well.
Pity SCCA screwed over Ray Irwin a few years ago. Bad, bad juju.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I kept knocking time off each session, taking a whopping 3 seconds off my prior personal best at Arizona Motorsports Park, which I had set just last weekend. That was a 1:54.7 and I managed a 1:51.99 this time, with absolutely no change in equipment. But the miles...I've been looking forward to 10k for a long time.
Hadn't realized that you moved . . . how many events at AMP is that now?

I haven't bothered tracking miles beyond a rough idea of getting about 30 miles per 25 minute session as long as it wasn't in the wet or the session being cut short for some reason. Might have got my 'thousand' in 2014 when I did 10 events, some with 5 sessions and one with 6. A thousand in a season is a pretty serious HPDE effort.

Norm

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Wow, congratulations!

That's a ton of hard miles on that engine. Sounds like it's time for a stroker and a set of aluminum heads 😉 LOL

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hadn't realized that you moved . . . how many events at AMP is that now?
Made me look back at my logs, that was my 16th event there.

I haven't bothered tracking miles beyond a rough idea of getting about 30 miles per 25 minute session as long as it wasn't in the wet or the session being cut short for some reason. Might have got my 'thousand' in 2014 when I did 10 events, some with 5 sessions and one with 6. A thousand in a season is a pretty serious HPDE effort.

Norm
Yeah, I started hitting the trip odometer every session pretty early on. My previous max was 840 miles a year, all of them at HPT and MAM, and the overall average for genuinely active years is about 600 a year. This year rocked, and the fact is, there were several events I skipped due to other commitments or a lack of desire. And, even though many events are 2-day deals, I only ever do one day of them. And now that I write that, it puts it into perspective how awesome it is to live in PHX and have so much available track time that I only use a fraction of it :D

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, congratulations!

That's a ton of hard miles on that engine. Sounds like it's time for a stroker and a set of aluminum heads 😉 LOL
I'm on engine #3, factory crate engine 5.0 with GT40Y heads.

The last one lived 55,000 miles, 6,200 of them on track. This one has 7,100 on it, 1,550 of them on track.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah, I started hitting the trip odometer every session pretty early on.
Gotta admit, that never occurred to me. :hammer:

I guess I could verify my estimate from the datalogging that I have started to take, but I didn't think of that either . . . until just now. :hammer: :hammer:

Happy New Year, people.

Norm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts