Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to do the accelerator pedal mod (raises it up a little so you don't have to go to the floor, and to line it up with other pedals).

However, the directions at http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm call for a "1 inch nylon spacer". Man, I have looked everywhere for this thing and can't find it. Called lots of automotive stores and hardware stores and no luck.

Does anyone know where I can get this thing? What should I be asking for besides "1 inch nylon spacer" cause that seems to blow people away when I ask them.

Thanks,
IJCobra

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i just found something lying around the garage that was abotu 3/4" long and a tube. it was a little piece of plastic.. I have no idea what it was for.. i cut the side of it to slip the cable in, then put a vice grip on the thing to close up the cut.

took me maybe 20 mintues (including time to find that piece)

·
Registered
295 Posts
You can use anything! An old radiator hose, belt, etc. Hell I use a rubber pedal cover and chopped it done. Chop it down to about 1inch X 2inches, wrap it around the cable and slide the clamp over it and tighten it down. Use some tape to hold the rubber in place so you can get the clamp on if you need to.

·
Registered
987 Posts
TOO EASY!

Use 3 large plastic zip ties,like the ones they use for holding car stereo wires together. It took me only 5 minutes to get under there and pop them 3 in. The hard part is holding the pedal upwards and trying to lock the zips in. It might be easier with the driver's seat removed or all the way tilted back. Now I charge $5 to all my mustang pals that want the pedal lifted,I've mae $50 so far. They think it's really hard because they see that it involves a nylon spacer and detaching the throttle cable, but I get around that fast.
....... :lol: ......... :lol: .......... :lol: .......

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'll try that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I thought that mod was rather Mickey Mouse ...you can easily unbolt the pedal assembly, put it in a vice, and bend it. Plus at this time you can bend it over to the left for better heel-toe.

·
Registered
889 Posts
sorry if I'm a little out of date...but what is the purpose of this mod and does it have results you can feel or is it just for the cosmetic purpose of having the pedals line up??...thanks.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a lot of slack in the stock pedal, that's why you have to go to the floor with it to go Wide Open Throttle.

It's possible that there is too much slack, and you cannot even reach WOT because the floor gets in the way. Shortening the cable (or getting around it with this modification) will prevent that.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I felt it for sure after I lifted the pedal. It gave me the illusion that the car gained like 15 hp. I had to get use to the faster acceleration. I think after a week the feeling goes away because you get use to it. :(

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think after a while the feeling that most modifications gives you goes away.

I guess that's why we never stop!

I'm about to do this mod after dinner, I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I cut a 5/8" hose down the middle and wrapped it around the slack in the cable (all the slack), then secured it with 2 hose clamps. Pepboys gave me the hose for free and $3 for a set of 4 clamps.

First thing I noticed was it is way easier to get on the gas. Kinda feels funny how the pedals are positioned now. I think I'm going to shorten it a bit tomorrow. The accelerator is almost higher than the brake pedal, which makes it way easy to get on the gas and harder to hit the brakes. I can see this causing a problem in an emergency. I'm going to lower the accelerator so it's about 1/4" below the brake. That should be perfect.

Late,
IJCobra

·
Registered
453 Posts
I used a piece of vacuum hose with a slit down one side to get it over the cable. I used plastic zip ties to hold it together.

Worth doing. Took a little time to get used to, but makes heel-toe possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went to Home Depot and they gave me an inch of plastic hose for free. The clamps were dirt cheap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did it.

I found a hose in the garage and used two zip ties. The car seems more responsive and the pedals look better. It was quick and easy. I would recomend everyone do this to their stang. Jon out...:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts