Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I'm installing my Bullitt pedals tomorrow. I know what I'm up against for the brake, clutch, and dead pedals but I'm still a bit confused about the accelerator pedal. I have the set with just the pedal, not the entire accelerator assembly. I did a search on other install threads and I'm still not sure about the following:

1. Can the pin holding the stock pedal onto the arm be reused? If not, suggestions on what to replace it with?

2. Do I need to remove the assembly to get the pin out?

3. If I can remove it with assembly in place, the pin slides toward the passenger seat, correct?

Thanks all! :D

Frank

·
Registered
236 Posts
Remove the entire assembly (two nuts) I think the pin will only slide out in one direction (can't remember for sure) It can/should be reused. Bottom line it will be obvious and easy to do on a work bench and next to impossible to do while still in the car.

Rob

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Make that impossible in the car. You'll need a vice and a hammer. That pin is pressed in, and it has somewhat large knurling for the size it is. If the pedals weren't plastic, I'd use heat. But I guess brute force is your only option.
Do not use the nut & bolt approach!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I beg to differ, I got the pin out while stillin the car. It did take a little effort, a big set of channel-lok pliers, and a smaller pin. It can be done, it just takes some patience. For some reason I thought it was very difficult to get the whole assembly out.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Frank3si, the pin does go out toward the passenger side. You could try MinGrey's approach, but it might be a lot easier to see what is going on if you take the pedal out. It's not that difficult, just be prepared for a backache afterwards.

There are two nuts on studs mounting the pedal. No problem. The throttle cable needs to be popped out of the hole in the top of the pedal arm. Pry the brass collar towards the driver's seat with a small screwdriver or other tool suitable for prying. Once you get in there it should be obvious what to do.

That pedal pin does have major grooves in it across about 3/4 of its length. I didn't have to re-use mine since I replaced the whole assembly. But, I think you could probably press it back (maybe with a little Loctite). That might be easier on the bench as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, folks. I was just contorted up under the steering wheel in the garage checking out the lay of the land. I may give the "in place" method a quick try, but it looks easy to get the assembly undone once the cable's popped out of the arm. I haven't seen anybody complain about getting it back in, so I'll take it as an "easy out, easy in."

Thanks again everybody! :cool:

Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts