Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I plan on installing a used motor that I bought a few weeks ago.

This will be my first engine replacement. This engine has been sitting around for about a month now.

It is a stock shortblock with about 77,000 miles on it. The guy I bought it from put new FMS lifters in it, a TFS stage I cam, and a Melling high volume oil pump in it about 2,000 miles ago I think he said.

Since it's been sitting around for a month, are there any precautions I should take? Do I need to prime the oil pump?

Thanks for any advice.

Brad.

·
Registered
255 Posts
YES, that is the most important thing you should do (prime the oil pump) Most auto part stores rent them for free, primer that is. If you want it to go alittle easier, get long extensions for taking of the tranny. And, what I do it try to pull the motor out without taking that much stuff off. All I take out is the radiator, and upper intake. I just unbot the header from the H-pipe, unbolt the trans, and unbolt the motor mounts. Of coarse your going to have to unplug some wires but not but a few.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
He's installing the motor, but yes you do need to prime the oil pump. Get the tool and its simple and doenst take any time at all. Make sure you have everything and know where everything goes before you attempt it. Goes easier.

:joy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts