Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, quick recap... Did some simple mods to my car, ended up having a bit of a high idel after words. Before I did the mods it had a hessitation that I was unable to assess. Well after I got the mods done I thought hte hessitation was gone. Well the other day I worked on my car for a while and actuly got the idel back to where it is supposed to be, which made me very happy... well the hessataition is back... but worse!

Now my car, when cranked up after sitting for a while will idel search for the longest time, sputtering and coughing the entire time, sometimes it seems like when i tap the gas it does not do anything. For a bit after that it will feel like it is running on 4-6 cylinders, with a lot of fluttering feeling and poping and back firing and sudden pick ups where it acts like nothing was wrong. After running for a while it will still do the sputtering and lagging, in and out, not constat, it also usualy ends up bumping the idel back up a little bit at some point and when I stop and idel it will bounce up and down a little bit.

Well today I replaced the rotor, the cap, and the coil, I have already replaced the wires and plugs. In hopes that it would correct the problem... guess what. Nope. I am lost, and feeling dispaired, this is my daily driver, and it makes it even harder. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks in Advanced and sorry so long.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
have you checked your TPS voltage? when you change your idle you have to readjust the TPS voltage also, it should be a round .96 volts. take a voltameter and probe into the green wire, and put the other to a ground and put the key to on, or have it running, then when yo got the idle to where you want then adjust the TPS voltage, hopefully it should take are of your problem. if that isn't it, it might just be your TFI module. and also does this do it when it's cold or warmed up?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
check the timing

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gc87coupe, the last time I checked the timing it was down so we bumped it up. I will have to check it again, I heard that the rubber failing around the balancer could cause it to change on its own.

bgjohnson, I will check the votage and see what that does. Then go to the tfi module (the one on the front of the distributor right? if so it looks brand new). But to answer your last question. It does it all the time. I drive the car for over an hour a day usualy and it will do the fluttering and poping after its been running for a while. Thanks for the responces guys and I will get to them and check them asap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
check these three things: TFI module, stator inside the dist., and your Air Charge Temp sensor, my car was doing the same thing, and it happened to be a combination of ACT and stator. good luck

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I replaced the Stator/pick-up assemb. It is still doing it, I got an ACT today, but looks like I am going to have to pull the upper off to get to it (typhoon) which means I am going to have to wait untill I can get a replacement gasket for between the two.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
if the rubber came out of the balancer it would really vibrate the car.....do you have cats? if you do they could be clogged

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
have you checked for vacume leaks? Also I knwo this sounds stupid but when was the last time you replaced your fuel filter? I doubt the fuel filter is your problem but most people forget to change them and then it weighs in as part of the problem, just ever so slightly. the TFI moduel may look brand new, but I cna make anyone look brand new with a little cleaning, check it. It really sounds like a vacume leak to me, but I am sure you have checked that. If you do need to replace your TFI module it will come with some grease to put between it and the distro, It is there for heat disipation. Go to a computer store, not best buy or circut city, a real computer store and get a product called artic silver 5 and use that instead, it only takes a pea size amount. Your TFI moduel will be much cooler... (I'm a computer geek, and artic silver is what we use between our CPU's and the heatsink and is top of the line. Which is how I know it works and why it works, I use it anytime I replace a TFI module now.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts