Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
it's steel. i run two at the track with 165/15s on them. they save about 25 lbs. over stock 17" wheels with 245/45s.

marcus

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Space saver = lightweight.

·
U.S. Army Active Duty
14,792 Posts
They are compressed and heated nylon. I think it is nylon. At any rate if you run on them too fast and/or too long then they melt.

John

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
NIUPonyBoy said:
They are compressed and heated nylon. I think it is nylon. At any rate if you run on them too fast and/or too long then they melt.

John
Not my spare. Definately steel! These wheels have to be safety rated well beyond their '500' mile limit. That fact that they would melt would definately impact their safety rating.

Where are getting plastic wheels from?

Are you talking about the tire?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
NIUPonyBoy said:

John
again, the wheel is steel. it will not melt. you must be talking about the tire. i put some $25 165/15 tires on mine that are good up to 110 mph.

marcus

·
U.S. Army Active Duty
14,792 Posts
Yeah ok i see where i read this wrong, what i get for posting at 4 in the morning.

John

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have done the same thing too. If you want to have fun take a couple of the old doughnut tires and roast them for 1 minute or try doing a burnout. Watch them explode I would replace the tires with 165 80 r 15 or 165 r 15 tires. it is a old volskwagen size and most are speed rated upto 118 mph.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Where are you guys getting these 165/80/15's at?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am using a cobra spare guess that is why I was confused when everyone said it was steel(I guess I should have mentioned it was for a cobra)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Mustang98y said:
I am using a cobra spare guess that is why I was confused when everyone said it was steel(I guess I should have mentioned it was for a cobra)
the cobra spares are 17" aluminum. the gt spares are 15" steel. i got my 165/15 tires at Pep Boys for $26/each. i said 110 mph earlier but they are rated to 118 mph.

marcus

1 - 13 of 13 Posts