Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my o2 sensors out tonight to check them out. they both were all fouled up looking. i used a benzo torch to see what they were reading and one of them is not reading at all. will this affect my fuel mileage or should the computer just take the readings from the one that is working? it should have set a code no matter what though, right?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
You used a torch?? How about tap into the signal wire with a DVOM and see what voltage is going to the computer. Do you have a check engine light?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Your O2 sensers contol the air fuel mixture. If one is out, the puter will richen up the mixture, causing poor milage and a good old "fail" on you emmisions test. I would just buy both of them and pop them in. You will notice alittle more power and better milage. They are around 35-45 bux each

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it wasn't a cutting torch, just one of those plumbers type torch, think they are caled benzomatic torrches. they don't get hot enough to melt any metal, just hot enough to make the o2 sensor give off voltage. i did use a mm to read the voltage off of the signal wire.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got my o2 sensors put it. man i wished i had started with them to begin with in trying to find out what was hurting my m.p.g. before i would only get about 30-35 miles and the needle would start to fall off of the full mark, right now i'm at 30 miles and it is still up where i filled it up. hopefully be back in the 20 some mpg's now instead of around 12-15. still don't understand why it didn't set a code for a bad o2 sensor though. thinking about hooking up a 3 way switch to my air/fuel meter to be able to monitor both 02 sensors now instead of just the drivers side.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Post back here once you find out if they helped your mpg. I think replacing mine would help and I don't have a code either.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts