Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking to get back in the 5.0 crowd, selling my bullitt with the 4V motor. Anyway I want to slap on a a-trim on a stone stock 92 LX and was wanting to know if the a-trim is as loud and reliable as a S-trim unit and just the pros and cons of the a-unit. thanks guys..

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
an a trim with a pulley change can get more boost, but will comprimise the integrity of the blower. gear whine comes from the design and cut of the gears. pros... $$cheap$$ cons...getting hard to find, and if you do, you could spend the same amount on a rebuild on one as just buying an s trim. just go with an s trim and save yourself the trouble. just my .02

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you mean they are getting hard to find? so you are saying as well that the a-trim is not as reliable?

·
Registered
954 Posts
A-trim has been discontinued as of about a year or so ago. Replacement is the SC-trim which is a modified S-trim (trimmed impeller tips). Better head unit than the A, IMO.

If you do a search, I believe you will find that the A-trims are pretty damn reliable, not too many gripes on that issue. Cons are that performance wise, they are a little limited on growth and are about 10% less adiabatic efficient than the S/SC-trim units. You can still build up a 400+ rwhp motor with them though, pullied for 10#.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
other than the head unit what exactly do you need to install the blower on a 92 LX? I am asking because i can get a good deal on a head unit.

·
Registered
954 Posts
About $1000 worth of brackets, nuts and bolts. Cheaper if you go the used route. Check the classifieds or ebay. The mounting brackets and hardware are the same as on the S-trim and SC-trim foxbody kits.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention, the belt tensioner idler pulley on the S-trim will be a little different since it comes standard with the 8-rib pullies. A-trim and SC-trim has 6-rib pullies as standard.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Dude,

Don't sell the 4V. Slap a blower on that and have some high reving fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts