Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just kidding, its not a snake, but I do hear a funny ticking or hissing sound under the car right under where the driver sits. I hear it primarily when I am accelerating or even at constant speed. Usually when I let off the gas, it stops a second or two later. Another sound analogy might be that it sounds like a wire brush is scaping metal.

I would like to get this thing taken care of since it is very annoying. Any ideas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Burt

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ticking makes me think it's an exaust leak.
Check to see how tight your bolts are.

Also could be the driveshaft rubbing on something, but I think that would be all the time you're moving. Might be clutch/flywheel/transmission related.

·
Registered
233 Posts
do you have a 5 speed? if so, does it happen when you push the clutch in? again, if so, have your master slave cylandar checked for the clutch. had a friend who had the same sound, it goes away but if not taken care of, can be bad for the clutch.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a 94 Cobra with only 60k and it does the same thing. It doesn't do it when I push in the clutch, so I've come to the conclusion that it's the throwout bearing. In all the mustangs that I've been in if I listen hard enough with no background noise(music) I'm able to hear the throwout bearing a little. I replaced the throwout bearing 3 times in my 86 and all the throwout bearing made noise. A couple of them chirped while others made a tiny grinding noise. Wouldn't worry about it too much.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
95five-oh-GT said:
do you have a 5 speed? if so, does it happen when you push the clutch in? again, if so, have your master slave cylandar checked for the clutch. had a friend who had the same sound, it goes away but if not taken care of, can be bad for the clutch.
Dude we have mechanical clutches. I bet it's an exhaust leak from the header to hpipe connection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts