Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got 10 mods looking for more ideas

I have gotten used to the power my car makes and I am ready for more. But what is my next step? Can you give me some experienced advice? I know I will never have anything for my Supra BPU+++ friends but at least I want to keep up with my LS1 friends on the highway. Right now I can go 143mph at 5000rpm tops. Last weekend I ran a 11.21 (1000ft tracks in AR) at like 92 mph with a 1.92 short. Also any guess at RWHP since my last dyno they didn't know what they were doing!!?? oh yeah I want to stay NA...

My mod list looks like this:
Custom-fab ram air
Air silencer removed
K/n air filter
Steeda underdrive pullies
Steeda Timing Adjuster set at 15-16 deg
Speedcal
Steeda Triax shifter
FMS 373 gears
Borla mufflers
Nitto 555dr 275/40/17's

So what is my next step:

Densecharger or other CAI
Headers
X- or H pipe
Cam
(this is not a yes or no ?):D

Other possibilities:
Throttle body
Intake
P & P heads
EEC tuner / Autotap
Mass Air
180 deg thermostat
Cat-back exhaust

Thanks,
Greg

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
If you want to keep up with LS1s on the highway while staying N/A, go ahead and open your wallet now because it's gonna take alot.

To give you an example, with my 262rwhp and running from a roll, I can keep up with (and sometimes pull a little) the auto LS1s (not heavily modded ones) but the M6s still pull away nicely (unless driver is a dummy).

If you give me your 1/8 mile times and MPH, I'll give you a good estimate of your rwhp. You can compare to my numbers in the siggy.

Now, to answer your question about parts. If you want to keep up with the M6 LS1 from a roll, you're gonna have to do it all:

--Ported/polished heads
--Cams
--Long-tubes
--Off-road H/X
--Good cat-back
--4.10s or 4.30s
--Bullitt intake would help
--MAF
--Powerpipe
--Drag radials for street use (go from a stop, it's to your advantage with 4.10s+ and D/Rs)
--Dyno tune
--Weight removal

All that junk should get you over 300rwhp, depending on how good your head porter is and what kind of cams you choose. That should be enough to surprise alot of LS1s, but if they've got a few mods (for M6 cars) you're still almost gauranteed to get walked.

-Pat

p.s. My bud with an '02 SS with minimal bolt-ons rolled out 320+rwhp and 330+rwtq on the same dyno and the same day that I rolled out my weenie 262rwhp.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry its taken so long to get back with you. Anyway I raced a new z28 the other day at the strip and I did the Carl Lewis on him until about 75 or so (he was stock) by then he had no time to play catch up. We trapped at about the same speed anyway. Now on the highway from 60 or so I know it would be another story from the get go. Let me dig out my slips and then we can compare. What about the next hp step though anyone? BTW whats an M6?

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
mystang00 said:
sorry its taken so long to get back with you. Anyway I raced a new z28 the other day at the strip and I did the Carl Lewis on him until about 75 or so (he was stock) by then he had no time to play catch up. We trapped at about the same speed anyway. Now on the highway from 60 or so I know it would be another story from the get go. Let me dig out my slips and then we can compare. What about the next hp step though anyone? BTW whats an M6?
M6 = 6 speed
A4 = Auto

I would say your next logical step is an off-road H or X pipe. Preferrably, long-tubes and an off-road H or X, if you have the money for it.

-Pat

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yellowman98 said:

M6 = 6 speed
A4 = Auto

I would say your next logical step is an off-road H or X pipe. Preferrably, long-tubes and an off-road H or X, if you have the money for it.

-Pat
6 speed...makes sense now.:rolleyes: If that is my bottle neck then I def wouldn't mind laying out the cash for it. I just have to be very careful not to break any sound barriers. I get on it quite a bit and I own my own biz in town so I don't want everyone (po-po-s) thinking I am a hotrod (which I really am). 20 rwph+ sound doable with my current setup? I think that should get me into the 10's in the 1000'. (thats what everyone judges by 'round here)

·
Registered
451 Posts
re

LS1's are tough built cars outta the box.. My slightly modded 96 can run dead even to an A4 Vert LS1 from a roll through 100+MPH.. You'll need some serious numbers.. I'd suggest to whoop them up on the HWY you'll need a little more agressive setup.. You could PP your stock heads, buy some cams, and possibly save room for an intake and dust stock LS1's. Or you could go the bolt on route.. either way.. it is in your near future to stomp some Z's

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies so far please someone else chime in...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts