Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Haven't begun tear down yet to assess the damage, but right off, it looks like the connecting rod failed. The plan has always been to build a max effort shortblock. It was my intention to install a TH400 over the winter and make passes with it while saving for the new block. Obviously, the priority has shifted to building the shortblock and then the new trans. But the thought of dropping another $30k-$50k on top of what I've already spent either makes me want to vomit or have diarrhea.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards TKM's 2000hp rated shortblock, its sleeved with aluminum rods. If I was close to 1300 at the flywheel, I believe it'll be close to 1800 by the time I add the heads and cams, smaller pulley(s) and tuning. By adding 1 deg of timing, the hp jumped from 970 to 1055, and the tuner felt he could've added another 4 and said the fuel was super fat, so I could've leaned it out and made more.

But for now, I'm just going to put the car cover over it, get through hunting season, and take a breather for a bit

· Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,744 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I’ve been in those shoes with mods and broken block myself. Almost pushed mine into back yard, dosed with kerosene and watched a bonfire. Almost.

· Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
6,744 Posts
I went thru two cranks in 500 miles. Really sucked. Bad total tolerances between thrust bearing, crank, converter, transmission. Bad deal while wife was nursing our first born and another was on the way. All while I kept pulling the engine and going thru cranks At night while home.

Third crank was the charm as was farming the whole engine project out to a hot rod shop.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well boys, Christmas came early. I couldn’t leave it alone and ordered the Coyote Extreme shortblock from TKM on Oct 1, and it arrived today. I absolutely am beyond thankful for Jon Boy and all of the TKM staff. Anytime I had A question or needed something, they responded right away and was kept informed throughout the entire process.
The heads and cams from Modular Headshop arrived last week. I ordered a GT500 oil pan, pump and pick up and it should arrive next week.
I am NOT rich by any means, just a rdisabled Vet, with a good job at the VA, but I’m running short on cash flow, and don’t have another $13k for the TH400, so I opted for a Suncoast 10r80 Stage 4 rebuild kit from Lethal, which will take 3-4wks to ship. Which hopefully puts me around the 1st of the year to have everything installed.
Wood Rectangle Gas Font Electric blue
Font Paper Parallel Number Paper product
Wood Gas Font Soil Landscape

21 - 25 of 25 Posts