Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran about six runs today after finally getting my chip reburned through the mail. My goal was to run without the fmu with a relative safe air-fuel. I'm still convinced the only way to tune a car is on the dyno though. Most of my dyno runs didn't work out to well, the car just shut down on one of them and then on my best run, my radiator hose popped off spewing radiator fluid everywhere. The car will not go past 5800rpm, looks like I need an ignition system to boost the spark a bit. Anyway, between the runs, I had to play with the fuel pressure a bit. It seems the more I added fuel, the more power the car wanted to make. So my two decent runs were these:

433.0rwhp/416rwtq SAE corrected with a max air-fuel of 12.7 at 5800rpm.

I then added some fuel pressure and this was the result:

446.2rwhp/413.0rwtq SAE corrected with a max air-fuel of 11.7 at 5800rpm. (power dipped a bit at 5700 with some belt slip from the radiator fluid)--saw about 12lbs of boost on that run.

Of course that run ended with the fluid everywhere and the next run my sc belt wouln't grip, made much less boost, so we let out. Other than that, the car drives much better without the fmu and the air-fuel line is very smooth. I just can't wait for a good autologic tuner to come to the area to work the car on the dyno.

·
Registered
530 Posts
get an msd6al and a msd6btm, then put a smaller pulley on that xb-1a. i want to see if powerdyne's claims are for real or warm farts on a cold day. you don't mind being the guinea pig, right? :D

does your xb-1a have a nice whine to it?

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I want to be a guinea pig ;) 12psi is about as far as I'm going to take the stock internals. Somebody else on this site is running 18psi on their XB-1 though, or so he claims. The XB-1 runs off a proven design, straight cut gears, so as long as Powerdyne has good quality control, I don't see why they shouldn't last.

My chip controls the total timing so I'm just going with the MSD6al.

Yes, the XB-1A has a whine to it. A bit noisy sometimes at idle but sounds nice as I drive down the road.

·
Registered
64 Posts
446.2rwhp/413.0rwtq
Congrats! It's always nice to see a Powerdyne car making some good numbers.
I just can't wait for a good autologic tuner to come to the area to work the car on the dyno.
I'm not sure how far away you are from them, but I've heard True Blue Performance (Benson NC -- near Raleigh) does some great custom chips on the dyno. Not sure if they use Autologic or not, but from what I've seen, their prices are good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very nice #'s and done without FMU. I guess there is hope for me and the 30's. I was running 70psi fuel pressure and my A/F's were very lean, too lean! Anyway interesting the extra hp you made by richening it up a bit.
I'm liking my Xb and make about 12psi on my 351 with the 8 rib.
BTW, who burned your chip?

Thanks
Steve

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
boosted89 said:
I'm not sure how far away you are from them, but I've heard True Blue Performance (Benson NC -- near Raleigh) does some great custom chips on the dyno. Not sure if they use Autologic or not, but from what I've seen, their prices are good.
I would go to True Blue but they are still having some sort of legal problem with the dyno operator so they haven't been tuning for months. I'm on the waiting list but still no call.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would go to True Blue but they are still having some sort of legal problem with the dyno operator so they haven't been tuning for months. I'm on the waiting list but still no call.
....Interesting, one of my friends recently called them about tuning his car. They said their dyno was down....but I assumed it was a mechanical problem.

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
boosted89 said:
....Interesting, one of my friends recently called them about tuning his car. They said their dyno was down....but I assumed it was a mechanical problem.
That's what they kept telling me also but I heard a rumor about it on a local website. So I called and asked them one day and they confirmed it.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Good numbers :D ... I was thinking earlier that you'll hit 430-450... That XB-1A is definitely crank out the HP. BTW, were you able to measure intake charge temps from the blower?

Hopefully your A/F and dyno data says it's spark blow out after 5800, I have a holley strip annilihator box w/0.38gapped plugs, and it broke up at ~6000rpms +-1K, since I installed the XB and concluded it was valve float/worn lifters...

--C

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cw50 said:
Good numbers :D ... I was thinking earlier that you'll hit 430-450... That XB-1A is definitely crank out the HP. BTW, were you able to measure intake charge temps from the blower?

Hopefully your A/F and dyno data says it's spark blow out after 5800, I have a holley strip annilihator box w/0.38gapped plugs, and it broke up at ~6000rpms +-1K, since I installed the XB and concluded it was valve float/worn lifters...

--C
I spoke with a local mustang shop today, Steen Racing, and they believe I need to gap my plugs to about .025-.030. I'm running about .035 right now and the car would just hit 57-5800 and just stop just like it used to on my old set-up when I had spark blowout. I'm also going to add a Walbro 255lph high pressure fuel pump to supply a bit more fuel to the injectors. I really wish I had gone with the 42#'s.

I didn't measure the intake charge, if I can, I will next time. If I could run my car to about 6000rpm, the power curve looks like it would climb right up to about 460rwhp and the boost showed no sign of falling off though it was very cold outside. On my 433rwhp run, we actually only ran it to 5600rpm to see where the air-fuel was (actually was 12.3 not 12.7 but steadily climbing), still a little lean at 5600 for my taste. The torque curve was nice though, over 400rwtq from 4200rpm to 5600rpm. I will keep tuning and keep trying.

I tell ya though, I'm impressed with the XB-1. The biggest thing is running 12psi and not worrying about internal belt breakage. Just have to worry about the engine now :evil:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm contemplating the 42's also.
The 30's are not even close to be able to get the job done even at 70psi fuel pressure.
The Xb definately needs a ton more fuel than the BD especially on the top range. The midrange boost is so much more evident , my truck is running too lean there too.
I had spark blowout at 5400. But I was running .040 gap. I regapped to .030 and the problem went away. I'm taking out the TR6 and trying the BR7EF plugs for the X heads, I hear they shine on the top end.
See ya
Steve

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steves 94 said:
I'm contemplating the 42's also.
The 30's are not even close to be able to get the job done even at 70psi fuel pressure.
The Xb definately needs a ton more fuel than the BD especially on the top range. The midrange boost is so much more evident , my truck is running too lean there too.
I had spark blowout at 5400. But I was running .040 gap. I regapped to .030 and the problem went away. I'm taking out the TR6 and trying the BR7EF plugs for the X heads, I hear they shine on the top end.
See ya
Steve
Hev Steve,

Definitely go for at least the 42#'s and skip the 36#'s. My mid-range is good but at about 5400rpm, the air-fuel starts to climb. Hopefully the high pressure fuel pump and regapped plugs will help my situation. Also, I forget, how much boost are you running?

cw50--your inbox is apparently full so I can't respong to your PM.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Great numbers man! When you gonna take that monster to the
track and try it out? I need to hurry up and run ya, before that thing gets any stronger!:D

·
Registered
245 Posts
With some electronic tuning, your A/F will come around. I lowered mine 2 points with my Tuner.:) Mine also liked more fuel up top.

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again, thanks for the comments guys.

Ron, the problem is the driver not the car. I guarantee you the more power I make, the slower I will go :D I do look forward the ironing out the kinks and getting to the track though. I hate having nothing but dyno numbers.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Shoot, I have the opposite problem. Got plenty of timeslips, but every time I get on a dyno, either the dyno malfunctions or "Christine" malfunctions.:mad:

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Timeslips, IMO, are better than dyno slips for obvious reasons. Speaking of Christine, my car rarely gets through any dyno run without problems. On this last one I had the dipstick blow out and spew oil everywhere, my car just shut down at 5800rpm, then of course my radiator hose blew off and it was raining green fluid all over Abacus.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Good numbers on all the XB-1s.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts