Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My limited edition convertible came from Ford as an A/C delete car. At some point, an aftermarket A/C was installed. I want to go back to the A/C delete like it came from Ford. Did they have to change out the heater core box to do this? If they did, will I have to source a non A/C box to replace it? Any insight as to what I need to do would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
From what i understand since im deleting my whole heater assembly is.......ac and non ac have differnt heater boxes and the lines come out of the firewall in a different location...also the hvac control has no ac spot on the dial...from what ive read

·
Registered
91 Posts
On what years are you talking? 87-93 the boxes are the same just no evap core installed. On 86 and back they are two different boxes and different firewalls for a/c and non a/c cars. And no the early non a/c box wont bolt into the later 87-93. I tried. I have one for sale if you need it lol?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
196 Posts
A/C delete

Yes you will have to get an A/C delete Box and the controls for the dash.The box just doesn't have the evaporator in it. You need to cut the box to take it out unless they cut the box to put it in.You also will need the A/C delete Ford Racing kit and a new serpentine belt. I think that is it. I have only seen 1 other limited edition with A/C delete. Very unusual.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes you will have to get an A/C delete Box and the controls for the dash.The box just doesn't have the evaporator in it. You need to cut the box to take it out unless they cut the box to put it in.You also will need the A/C delete Ford Racing kit and a new serpentine belt. I think that is it. I have only seen 1 other limited edition with A/C delete. Very unusual.
I also thought it was unusual whenever I received my Marti report and it didn't have a/c as an option. It was ordered by a dealer in New York State thus explaining why the no a/c option was ordered. But at some point this aftermarket a/c was installed. I have a '92 hatch that has the factory a/c on it. The foam where the lines go through the firewall for the a/c is different between both of my cars. You can tell that it was split apart to put the lines through it on my convertible. I already have the ford racing A/C delete kit. Gotta figure out how I'm gonna get a non A/C box from somewhere. I haven't pulled the dash out yet so I don't know what they did to it, but would it be possible that they used the factory non a/c box? Or would that be impossible? Seems like they went to a lot of trouble putting on a/c when they could have done it from the factory.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
according to the other guys post for 87-93 its the same box minus the a/c evap core...i have my whole assembly out and only way to take the a/c core is to cut the evap box where its joined and remove the core than reseal the box....i just opted to remove my whole hvac and all the lines, ducts and get a scottrod panel to cover the holes on the firewall but mine is a strictly beautiful weather car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
according to the other guys post for 87-93 its the same box minus the a/c evap core...i have my whole assembly out and only way to take the a/c core is to cut the evap box where its joined and remove the core than reseal the box....i just opted to remove my whole hvac and all the lines, ducts and get a scottrod panel to cover the holes on the firewall but mine is a strictly beautiful weather car.
Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I will be undoing what someone did as mine is a car is driven on strictly beautiful days too. It's a convertible, why do I care if its got a/c??

·
Registered
196 Posts
Non A/C

The A/C box uses a foam seal with holes for the a/c lines. The Non A/C box uses the the same type of seal without any holes. If you look at non A/c car the opening in the firewall is sealed by the solid foam seal. Non A/C boxes are not easy to find.There are a few Mustang parts venders in Canada that may have some. I have one that I took out of a 87 4cyl over 10 years ago. I am saving it in case I buy a non a/c car that was converted like yours.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The A/C box uses a foam seal with holes for the a/c lines. The Non A/C box uses the the same type of seal without any holes. If you look at non A/c car the opening in the firewall is sealed by the solid foam seal. Non A/C boxes are not easy to find.There are a few Mustang parts venders in Canada that may have some. I have one that I took out of a 87 4cyl over 10 years ago. I am saving it in case I buy a non a/c car that was converted like yours.
Yeah you can see where they put it in that they just split the foam and stuck the lines through. Not like my other mustang that has factory a/c and the holes that you described.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe I can help with some photos of my '93 factory A/C delete car. The heater controls only have four selections vs. six with the A/C controls. The firewall is blocked off from the backside with a foam-rubber material. The accessory brackets are the same as the FRPP pieces.

Bad pic, but you can see it to the left of the heater core tubes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the pics Reef. Mine has an aftermarket a/c and you can see where someone split my foam for the evaporator. But someone had to have changed out my controls because I have 6 selections unlike yours. Maybe I can find an original non a/c somewhere. Thanks again for the pics.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I took off my aftermarket a/c and installed the brackets to relocate my power steering pump. I also sourced a non a/c hvac controls and installed that. Only thing I have left to do to put it back to factory is to pull the evap core out and patch/replace the foam that someone ripped when they installed the evap. I've been contemplating on putting a new heater core in the car when I take out the evaporator. Evidently there aren't any OE heater cores out there. So what should I go with? I don't want to do this again in a few years.

And I would like to put a nice foam seal back in it instead of trying to repair the one I have. I've been looking for over a year and have yet to find any on ebay or anywhere else. Does anyone up north know of someone that has one or knows where a non a/c car could be that is being scrapped out that has one? I'd like the seal or maybe the whole box.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have used different brands of heater cores but prefer Ford when I can get. I will keep an eye out for a non A/C car
I may just hold off doing this until I do find a complete box or the foam piece. I don't drive the car that much and it's not something that has to be done asap. Thanks junky. Let me know if you ever run across something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.