Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
I prefer to pay someone to do that. If the inside of your lines have been exposed to the open air then the system should be evacuated first. The local shops have those high tech machines that do all that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's not difficult but it does require some quality tools and knowledge....Did you have a leak and lose the freon? Change a hose because of a hole in it? Press the wrong Schrader valve and release some of the freon?....

If all the freon escaped, the system will need to be vacuumed down.. You can rent a vacuum pump for about $20 bucks a day...
You will need gauges to monitor the high and low sides...DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENTLY. DOING SO CAN HURT THE CAR AND YOU TOO.....

After pulling a vacuum for an hour minimum,turn off the gauge valves and the pump and see if the vacuum holds...If it does, good; you can charge freon into the vacuum...If the vacuum doesn't hold, fix the leak...

If you just need to top off the freon, STILL USE HIGH AND LOW SIDE GAUGES....PLEASE!!!!! As you run the car, monitor the high side and charge with freon until the HIGH SIDE PRESSURE IS 2.2-2.5x AMBIENT TEMP....NO MORE THAN THAT....You should also have the fan on high and the windows down....Charge with freon very slowly until the vent temps are as cold as possible and the high side doesn't go too high....

If there is ANY DOUBT whether or not there is air in the system, pull a vacuum on it....If it's empty, pull a vacuum...If you changed a component, pull a vacuum...

There is nothing special or "high-tech" about this just attention to detail and care that you don't miss a step or overlook something...And never assume anything about the system....Plus, no matter how fast you think you are, you cannot open the system to change a part and not get air into it.....

SOOOO....Why do you need to recharge the system anyway?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a line that leaked. It's the lower line that connects to the compressor and runs over the top of the back of the engine. It was leaking oil. Or what seemed to be oil, the greenish yellowish stuff. I fixed the leak now I just need to replenish the oil or whatever it was.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am going to make a recommendation; go to www.aircondition.com and post this on their forum..

Honestly, the replacement of the oil lost will be a guess at best. The freon in your system carries the oil throughout the system to lubricate and help flow to the freon. The only proper way to do this and know what you have in the system would be to remove each component and drain the remainder from each, measure what comes out, and replace the oil with an oil like Polyalpha+ or Texaco HFC-100...Guessing will only ensure that you will do it again or a shop will do it again....Check with the folks on the ac forum; they work with DIY'er all the time and will give proper advice and walk you through step by step...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts