Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know much about cars so keep that in mind. My air conditioning has not worked since i have gotten my car. So far i tried to add freon last year. That helped none, and i was not empty in the first place. Someone told me that the system might need to be perched on freon. I was going to do that until i found out it would cost $200 so screw that. Since it is summer time again I would like to get my A/C to work. I just have replaced the Factory Air switch and the compressor face still is not spinning. A new compressor would cost alot, and I dont have the money to buy one or pay for the labor. So i was wondering if there was any other options to what could be wrong with it? Or if there is a simple fix to it? Any help would be nice. Thx

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I would start by pulling it into a vacuum see if she holds then weigh in the charge and see if you can get that compressor to kick in..just for starters....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would start by pulling it into a vacuum see if she holds then weigh in the charge and see if you can get that compressor to kick in..just for starters....
Ummm.... yea idk what you mean by vacuum or weigh in the charge......
like i said i dont really know much about cars. Can you dumb it down a bit for me?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
If you don't know much about it, then you literally have two choices:

One....Learn. Typically this means getting your hands dirty and asking lots of questions

Two....pay someone else to fix it for you. This means you don't get your hands dirty and you also don't learn a thing other than A/C work gets expensive if you pay somebody else.

·
Registered
24,743 Posts
take it to the a/c shop, if you cannot afford to open the windows, you do not want to play around with pressurized refrigerant, nothing good will come of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you don't know much about it, then you literally have two choices:

One....Learn. Typically this means getting your hands dirty and asking lots of questions

Two....pay someone else to fix it for you. This means you don't get your hands dirty and you also don't learn a thing other than A/C work gets expensive if you pay somebody else.
yea, ive been working on the thing. And obviously im here to ask lots of questinos so that first statement was a bit uncalled for. And i dont have the money to pay anyone to fix it which is why i am here looking for suggestions.....
Im sorry if i dont know the terms that you guys use. I can fix it myself i just need to know where i should get started.

·
Registered
24,743 Posts
yea, ive been working on the thing. And obviously im here to ask lots of questinos so that first statement was a bit uncalled for. And i dont have the money to pay anyone to fix it which is why i am here looking for suggestions.....
Im sorry if i dont know the terms that you guys use. I can fix it myself i just need to know where i should get started.
Automotive Air Conditioning Bulletin Board • Index page

The amount of money you will spend on the proper tools, will out cost taking it to a shop.

manifold and guages
adapters
vac pump

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Automotive Air Conditioning Bulletin Board • Index page

The amount of money you will spend on the proper tools, will out cost taking it to a shop.

manifold and guages
adapters
vac pump
Figure about $1,000 if you get an entire A/C repair setup, and get quality tools (Robinair, etc).

Hell, I'm a mechanic and even I don't own any A/C repair tools. #### gets expensive.

Vacuum pump
Refrigerant scale
Refrigerant (30 or 50lb bottle)
Manifold gauge set
UV leak detection kit
Oil injector adapter kit for manifold gauge set

OR

A/C recovery/recharge machine, costs $2,000-5,000.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't know what a Factory Air switch is. That's a brand name of replacement parts, so that could be one of a number of parts.

Did you mean the pressure switch on the top of the accumulator? That was what it was when my car did the same thing.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
My apologies for not stating what you wanted to read.

Seriously. The tooling for this type work gets expensive. Some of us are techs and we speak from experience...we had to buy this stuff and we know what it costs. And you can't do a very good job without it. It can be rigged, but then you're back to square one...A/C that "works" but doesn't blow very cold.

First you need to find out if the compressor actually works. Run a jumper wire between the terminals of the pressure switch connector. Compressor should come on. If not-you have a wiring problem, compressor problem, HVAC switch problem or some other electrical issue. If it comes on, chances are very good that the system has a leak...and has leaked out all of the refrigerant. Now you gotta figure out where the leak is. Is it an O-ring? Leaking condensor core? Evaporator core? Line? Thats where the vacuum pump comes in. Vacuum the system down and see if it holds vacuum. If it does, there's probably not much of a leak...maybe leaked through an oring at one point or whatever. If it doesn't hold, you also have a leak. Now you have to FIND the leak. One way is to recharge the system with refrigerant and then use your leak detector to locate the source of the leak. So now you can see, you'll need a vacuum pump, leak detector, manifold gauges, a couple cans of refrigerant, etc. OR if your system is R12 and you want to keep it that way, you'll have to buy some R12...which is EXPENSIVE. $35 per can around here...IF you can find it (was phased out to the general public years ago). Then once the leak is found, you'll have to fix it. If the compressor seal leaks, you'll need to replace it...or replace the compressor itself as a complete assembly (another $200). If the evaporator leaks (not uncommon on Mustangs) it'll have to be replaced...and most of us Mustangers will agree that it's THE absolute worst repair that we can make to these cars (the car is built AROUND the HVAC box). Most shops charge upwards of $1000 to R&R a heater core and/or evaporator. Might as well do both at the same time if one or the other has to be replaced...it'd be a shame to replace one of them, then a month later have to tackle it AGAIN. My first time to R&R a heater core took about 8 hours. I can probably do it in 5 now but that's HURRYING and having all the tools and parts at immediate disposal which NEVER happens at least not for me.

There was an ad on CL recently that advertises a local guy who will R&R a heater core in a Mustang for $400 parts included. Guy works out of his garage and does it in spare time for supplemental income. I'm told that it's a pretty good price :)

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
$400 installed for a heater core is a DAMN good price. That job goes for at LEAST $800-1,000 normally.

I have done two heater cores, neither were fun. Taking dashes apart is a PITA to me. Old, brittle plastic parts and widgets that break and crack at the slightest touch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts