Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Help My A/C is not working I have checked the fuse and have opened the hood when I turn on the A/C the clutch does not Ingage??? where do I start looking from here?:confused:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Look at the compressor top and there is a connection - make sure it's plugged in. The compressor will not come on if there is low refrig. - a switch on pass firewall prevents you from frying compressor if low. You still have freon or did you change to 134a?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

I still have freon It must be out ?? should I but one of the retro fit kits from wallmart and use it. or do I need to have it checked by someone? I dont have a whole lot of funds right now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I converted my system over for $50. I took off compressor, drained it and put in 134a oil. Got o-rings and kit from autoparts store. O-rings will need to be replaced. It's an easy job and 134a is $5 can :joy: as compared to expensive freon.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Knowing that freon and other refigerants can blind and freeze skin on contact, how do you feel about the level of knowledge that you have about A/C systems?

It's a 95% chance that you are low on refigerant. With the present cost of R12, you are looking at ~$150 to recharge by a shop since you are not licensed to buy R12.

For me, it cost ~$300 total to convert my 88 over to R134A.

The InterDynamics (and other) kits that you get at WallyWorld work for some people. For others, they just cause more problems.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes that is a little steep right now :barf: I was not execpting that Oh well guess it hot air for awhile I thought I could just get a adaptor and put in R134A. I dont knot alot about A/C but if I could just get a cheep fix for this summer that would be great. However I will try to get it fixed right next summer.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
geno5.0 said:
Yikes that is a little steep right now :barf: I was not execpting that Oh well guess it hot air for awhile I thought I could just get a adaptor and put in R134A. I dont knot alot about A/C but if I could just get a cheep fix for this summer that would be great. However I will try to get it fixed right next summer.:rolleyes:
Do not put R134 in a R12 system. They are NOT compatible - Sorry. The system needs to be purged of the R12 first.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
geno5.0 said:
I thought I could just get a adaptor and put in R134A.
No, definitely not!

I dont knot alot about A/C but if I could just get a cheep fix for this summer that would be great.
You can go with one of those $40 kits. It may work, it may not. Plus, chances are that when you do want to fix it right, it will cost more because of the kit.

No offense, but it surprises me that someone would spend that kind of money for just a MAF, yet balk when it comes to A/C. Priorities, I guess.

The webpage below will take you through the basics of the A/C system in a Fox.

88 LX 5.0 R134A Conversion

1 - 9 of 9 Posts