Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for the bearing part number in the S-trim, or upgrading to a bearing that will spin faster. I remember reading and printing out the information in 2001 off of the Corral, but the searches I do show no such information anymore. Just wondering if any of you might have this information or can link me to someone who might be able to help.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
2 Nachi ball bearings nac-6003 (must be speed rated)
2 SKF Ball Bearings 6205/C3
1 Chicago rawhide seal SC/R-6248
1 Transcom seal TCM-25x40x7tc
1 Chicago Rawhide Speedi sleeve C/R-99062

that is everything needed for replacing the bearings, seals, etc. Disassembling it is real easy...just take off the 8 bolts holding the front cover on, take off the impellar nut (i think i remember it being left hand thread), take off the compressor case and impellar and mark it so you can have it clocked right for reassembly. As for the rest, it is obvious how it comes off and you will have to have the old bearings pressed off and the new ones pressed back on. The toughest part is getting out the main shaft but with a small piece of threaded rod the size of the pulley bolt and a few quick blows from a hammer and it's out...anyways, it is really simple to do and is EXTREMELY cheap compared to vortechs price to rebuild so there ya go.
that is the very brief version of how to take it apart, there is a little more fine detail to it but you'll see once you start. just be careful with everything. this is replacing all the parts that vortech calls a "minor repair" at $395. all these parts cost WELL UNDER $50 if i remember correctly...maybe closer to $25 but it's been quite some time since i've even had a vortech (went turbo after that). anyways, have fun

This is some info I had. Not sure if its 100% because I never had my Vortech fail, but this is what I would try.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
302man, you're the best! I know you answered this question for me when I had my B trim, a couple years ago, and the shaft bent while pressing off the impeller. I have recently moved to Florida and am still unpacking boxes of stuff so I have no clue where that information you gave me is now.

Thank you!!!

302man said:
2 Nachi ball bearings nac-6003 (must be speed rated)
2 SKF Ball Bearings 6205/C3
1 Chicago rawhide seal SC/R-6248
1 Transcom seal TCM-25x40x7tc
1 Chicago Rawhide Speedi sleeve C/R-99062

that is everything needed for replacing the bearings, seals, etc. Disassembling it is real easy...just take off the 8 bolts holding the front cover on, take off the impellar nut (i think i remember it being left hand thread), take off the compressor case and impellar and mark it so you can have it clocked right for reassembly. As for the rest, it is obvious how it comes off and you will have to have the old bearings pressed off and the new ones pressed back on. The toughest part is getting out the main shaft but with a small piece of threaded rod the size of the pulley bolt and a few quick blows from a hammer and it's out...anyways, it is really simple to do and is EXTREMELY cheap compared to vortechs price to rebuild so there ya go.
that is the very brief version of how to take it apart, there is a little more fine detail to it but you'll see once you start. just be careful with everything. this is replacing all the parts that vortech calls a "minor repair" at $395. all these parts cost WELL UNDER $50 if i remember correctly...maybe closer to $25 but it's been quite some time since i've even had a vortech (went turbo after that). anyways, have fun

This is some info I had. Not sure if its 100% because I never had my Vortech fail, but this is what I would try.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. Barry D.'s the "BEST--EST"!!!

Thank you both. I really do appreciate the help and quick answers. Monday, I'll start calling around to see if anyone can get these parts in my area. Palm Bay, FL.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Mick said:
Okay. Barry D.'s the "BEST--EST"!!!

Thank you both. I really do appreciate the help and quick answers. Monday, I'll start calling around to see if anyone can get these parts in my area. Palm Bay, FL.
lol, i just think it's cool that someone w/ a near 9 second car listened to what little ol' me had to say :D. no seriously though, the part numbers are a combination of what i got off here several years ago and what i came up w/ myself to make the complete list and the rest of the rambling was something i threw together just quickly. it really isn't that difficult to do...just didn't want folks wasting money if they didn't have to (i.e. $400 bearing change from vortech).

ChrisB, yes this would be the way to do an a to s-trim upgrade if you could locate an impellar but you'd also have to get a volute from an s-trim as well b/c they don't neck down to the smaller impellar like an a-trim does. i found one a couple years ago on ebay (just a polished s-trim case) b/c i already had the bearing part numbers and seals for the s-trim (bearings being most important b/c they are setup to have a higher max impellar speed/rpm) and the gears are identical from a v1 a-trim to a v1 s-trim so those just swap right over if you have an a-trim currently. the problem is locating an impellar. maybe you could find one from someone who recked the gears or something and had an s-trim impellar laying around. anyways, good luck to you guys and let me know if you have any other questions, i'll try and help out if i can. (on another note, i finally got out of all this and went the twin turbo route...i've liked it better :D )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually i was curious about the S-trim to T-trim upgrade (it sounded like you are talking about an A to S upgrade?) - I have a source for a T-trim impeller - I know the inlet is a bit smaller on the S, but it seems like all the other internal dimensions will match up (though I good be overlooking something).

The Strim-HD and T share the same bearing set - would I need to swap over to this and would be be more trouble than it's worth (are they larger bearings, etc?)

Thanks again for your help!

Chris

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
ChrisB said:
Actually i was curious about the S-trim to T-trim upgrade (it sounded like you are talking about an A to S upgrade?) - I have a source for a T-trim impeller - I know the inlet is a bit smaller on the S, but it seems like all the other internal dimensions will match up (though I good be overlooking something).

The Strim-HD and T share the same bearing set - would I need to swap over to this and would be be more trouble than it's worth (are they larger bearings, etc?)

Thanks again for your help!

Chris
im interested as well...subscribing...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You would most likely need the compressor housing "cut" aka ground down to fit the new larger T trim wheel. Thats how its done when you put a larger compressor wheel in a turbo. Maybe a turbo shop could do it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in the process of trying to find the proper parts before I tear the supercharger apart.

Only parts I can find are:
6205/C3 bearings
C/R99062 sleeve
TCM-25x40x7tc

I'm having difficulty with:
SC/R-6248 - It appears that 6247 is the closest seal size avaliable
nac-6003 (speed rated) - only finding regular electric motor grade (typically 1750 rpm - not going to cut it)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Are these bearings for the HD Strim or the standard S/A trim ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope for a regular V2 S/A/B-tri. I didn't even know there was a HD S-trim. Barry D. can answer correctly.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Mick said:
I didn't even know there was a HD S-trim.

If you have the HD Strim, it can be upgraded to a T trim. You can not go from A trim to S trim to T trim.

·
Registered
606 Posts
these were the part numbers for standard s-trim bearings. i never looked into going cog driven so i had no need for an HD s-trim or a t-trim bearing setup and all.
as for your trouble finding some of the bearings and things, just keep calling places b/c vortech doesn't make them in-house, they are mass produced elsewhere and vortech then purchases them. also, if someone doesn't come up w/ anything, ask if there is a cross reference or replacement of it or any recommendations of where to try next. as for going to a t-trim, that would be a completely different animal. other than needing a new volute w/ a bigger impellar opening, the bearings are different and i'm not sure about the size of the main shaft - possibly larger as well. the inlet inducer diameter (part hugging the impellar) of a t-trim is 3.29" vs 3.10" for the s-trim and about 2.75" for the a-trim. as for the v-2sq questions, that is totally different from the v-1 as far as gearing and all goes. first off, a v-2sq uses a different step up ratio, 3.6:1 vs the v-1 3.45:1. also, the "quiet" effect is achieved by using helical cut gears instead of straight cut ones, much the same as a manual transmission is substantially quieter in all forward gears (helical cut) but noisey in reverse (straight cut). the previous listed things from the earlier posts are how to go from a v1 a-trim to v1 s-trim or just do what vortech labels as a "minor repair" (for $395). hope this helps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll keep calling. Work 6AM to 6PM, so I'll have to wait for a "slow" day or a day off. Thanks for the hope!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info! I just wasn't sure if the inlet diameter would actually directly effect the compression, or if it would just be a small added restriction. Sounds like the lack of HD bearings would be a showstopper regardless of everything else.

Chris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts