Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard the term “freeing up the exhaust” I need to know what that means. I have an 03 Cobra coming at the end of the month, and I understand that they have the “pre fix 99 exhaust”, which is restrictive. On my current 98 I have welded in Flowmaster 40’s with the factory Cats. I am happy with the sound and performance. Exactly what must be done to free the exhaust? I would like to keep the cat’s (I am not a tree hugger or anything like that, but we may have emission testing resumed in Fla. And it just would be best) Would replacing the factory mufflers with the 40’s be enough to free up some horsepower? I understand that long tubes with high flow cats with a FR500 system would be the ideal, but I do not think that I want to go that radical. Bottom line if it is the same as the 99’s what would the weld in flowmasters give me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Back in '99 before the fix, cat-back swaps produced incredible results. Almost as advertised, in some cases more :). Most of that restriction was in the mufflers so I think that if the '03 has those corks changing them should be worth it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
VRS catted xpipe

All--

I've got a VRS catted xpipe still in the box from the last GP.

Will this fit on the 2003 Snake?

I'm assuming that 1999+ Cobra exhaust stuff will fit on the 2003, nothing has changed, right?

:joy:

Hopefully, this xpipe w/ a Magnaflow catback will do wonders for the 2003.

:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.