Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've got a 99 Mustang that I threw a 5.4 DOHC into. I realize that I definitely should have spaced the k member first, but I didn't. Is it possible to space the k member without removing the motor? I'd really like to avoid that if possible. Can I lower it enough to fit my 1/2 spacers in-between just by taking the 8 bolts that hold it in or do I pretty much have to remove the whole k -member? I've looked online and I can't find a agood answer for this anywhere. Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
1,544 Posts
If I recall correctly you may be able to use the same mounts the 2000 Cobra R used if you are having hood clearance issues. The 2000 Cobra R did not lower the K-member for fitment. But they also used a totally different cowl hood to provide extra clearance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Maximum Motorsports used to have a sketch they provided to make a engine support bar to be used when installing their K-Member. I made one up based off that many years ago. If you have the means, absolutely make one. It's great anytime you need to drop the K-Member for any reason. Otherwise, you need a way to support the weight of the engine as you lower and remove the K-Member bolts. Once you have the engine's weight supported, a floor jack should be all you to need to support/lower the k-member.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Maximum Motorsports used to have a sketch they provided to make a engine support bar to be used when installing their K-Member. I made one up based off that many years ago. If you have the means, absolutely make one. It's great anytime you need to drop the K-Member for any reason. Otherwise, you need a way to support the weight of the engine as you lower and remove the K-Member bolts. Once you have the engine's weight supported, a floor jack should be all you to need to support/lower the k-member.
For OP's purpose, the engine should stay attached to the K-member.
I would support the car body on jack stands behind the K-member at a solid point, support the K-member with a floor jack, remove the bolts, lower the floor jack enough to slide the spacers in, then reattach the K-member.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help guys, I'm not having hood clearance issues (ok I am but I'm just running no hood haha), it's the valve cover rubbing against the hydroboost that the issue.

So if I support the car properly, I can remove the 8 bolts holding the K-Member in, and just lower it half an inch? Is there anything else I have to remove or is it just those 8 bolts?

·
Registered
176 Posts
For OP's purpose, the engine should stay attached to the K-member.
I would support the car body on jack stands behind the K-member at a solid point, support the K-member with a floor jack, remove the bolts, lower the floor jack enough to slide the spacers in, then reattach the K-member.
I don't know about you, but I would never lower a Mustang k-member with the weight of the engine on it, when the k-member bolts are being removed. One slight mis-step is all it takes for a disaster. End of the day, it's a matter of hooking it up to a cherry picker and removing the nuts on the motor mount. A little more time, but will make sure the worst won't happen if your balance is off w/ the floor jack.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Why pull the motor mounts loose if you’re going to use the cherry picker? Just hold everything up, lower the whole assembly with it, then use the picker to pull it back up tight to start the bolts on the K-member.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Why pull the motor mounts loose if you’re going to use the cherry picker? Just hold everything up, lower the whole assembly with it, then use the picker to pull it back up tight to start the bolts on the K-member.
Another option as well. Point is, you don't want to be supporting the entire front end, with the engine, with just a floor jack. That's a very delicate balancing act that won't end well if the load shifts even a hair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts