Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a set of 99 dohc heads fit a 97 block. and would you need a 99+ intake to set ontop. has anyone done this before and is it worth the power.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think from what I've heard it's more hassle than it's worth. You will need the 99+ intake.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 99 heads will fit the 96-98 block but you will need the 99 upper and lower intake. You may even need to do the IMRC (secondary intake runner) deleat as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd say unless you have a great deal on the 99 heads and intake, buy the FR500 parts. If you are going through the pain of doing the swap, you might as well go all the way.....and be the corral's guinea pig at that:cool:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i was just thinking about it, if i did it i would have the heads ported and new cams. i was just checking out a few places to see if i could just get the heads and intake everyone want to sell the whole motor. its just a thought, what kinda gains do u think i would see with a ported intake and heads with a set of nice cams. no blower mabey N2O later down the road after a built bottom end. thanks

Eric

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
For what a measly 15hp over the stock setup.... They all make around the same power when everything is ported...(heads and intake) You also have more intake options with your 97...SSR, PHP, HCI, etc... 99 and 01 guys have to port the stock one... Plus I think the 96-98 intake covers look a lot better...:p

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I thought the 96-98 heads with the swirl ports flowed better than the 99+'s tumble ports anyways? It's the intake that gets the 99+'s the extra horses...correct me if I'm wrong?

Get yours port and polished, along with your intake and get some deletes to open that baby up so it can breathe!:cool:

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I thought the 96-98 heads with the swirl ports flowed better than the 99+'s tumble ports anyways? It's the intake that gets the 99+'s the extra horses...correct me if I'm wrong?

Get yours port and polished, along with your intake and get some deletes to open that baby up so it can breathe!
96-98 4V Cobra heads have higher flow #s... In high horsepower (boosted) applications, the 96-98 heads seem to be a better choice...(John Mihovitz, Joe Stewart, Dave King, Tim Palmer, etc...all use/used the 96-98 heads...Stewart and Palmer don't race anymore...

For the street, the tumble port heads are said to be better for N/A applications because of the increase in torque down low...(no need for IMRCs...) IMHO, the 15hp that the 99, 01 Cobras have in stock form over the 96-98 4Vs, mainly comes from the intake and a less restrictive exhaust...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts