Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

Just wondering if I can put '99 GT PBR dual piston calipers on an '87 GT. Are the spindles the same? Would I need to change to a '94 or later spindle? Looks like the rotor diameter is the same, but I am not sure about thickness...

Also, would I need the stainless caliper bolt sleeves like on the single piston calipers, or has this been fixed with the PBR design?

Looks like from earlier posts that this set-up would fit within a 16" wheel (ROH Snyper), which I am obligated to.

Many thanks,
Bman

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If you want to put the PBR caliper on, you will need to go to a 95-up spindle.

The PBR design does not use the rubber bushings as done in the fox caliper, so you do not need any sort of SS bushing for that style of caliper.

More details on this particular swap at Matt's page

Good luck!!:cool:

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The only thing to add is the Sn95 is 5 lug only. So no, you cannot swap to 4 lug on the Sn95 spindles.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 or 5 lug

About the five lug conversion:

The studs are pressed into the rotor, right? The spindle should just have a surface that the bearings ride on, and are not 4 or five lug specific. If I use an '87 rotor on a '95 spindle...

Is my logic confused here?

Bman

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
the fox rotor mounts with the bearings as one unit. If you have changed the rotors on a fox before you have seen this. If you take the rotor off, you have to take it off the spindle, and the bearings and all come with it.

The SN-95 rotors only have the rotor. They are monted onto a sealed hub onto the spindle.

The spindle and rotor designs are completely different and are not compatible for the swap.

The Lincon Mark VII used the same spindle design as the fox Mustang, but with 5 lug rotors, which is why they are a bolt on replacement.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Can be done.. using all Ford parts too...

I did the same swap initially on my 88... all documented too on my site..

I recently upgraded to cobra fronts, but the PBRs did an excellent job and make the std SN calipers not worth it.

Adam

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!!

This is all tremendously helpful.

Many thanks, folks!!

Bman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts