Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up... Thinkin about ditchin my car and goin to the newer 4 valve. I like the body style a tad better i think and I hear they run really good from the factory... I have a few questions

1.) What are you guys running stock? I hear anything from [email protected] mph to 13.3 at 106mph.

2.) I dont know what kinda mods there are for these cars, Im assuming they are probably mostly the same as for the 5.0. TB, cold-airs, MAF's. How do they respond to the mods? Is it worth it to change the factory stuff?

3.) what is a decent price on one of them? again, im seeing a pretty big variety in prices($17k to $28k). I probably cant afford much more than $20k

Thanksin advance

:evil:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I bought my 99 totally unmodified with 5k miles, 7/70 warranty and almost perfect condition for 21k. Should be able to pick one up later this year for a tad less than that, although I think the low mileage beauts are gone by now. Still, look for something with less than 20K - you should be able to find it.

I haven't run mine on the dragstrip yet, but most guys are seeing high 13's on street tires basically stock I think. Someone who brutalizes the car like something they hate on the 1/4 may be able to improve on that by half a second or so.

What I'm wanting to try is a little autocross!!! I've been a drag racer too long, and it's time to turn over a new leaf.

You will LOVE the 4V 4.6 even with stock gears. Really fun to rev it to 7 grand through 1st and 2nd, and if you have a little room, 3rd is the real treat! They pull hard enough at high revs in 1st to make you grimace. :joy:

People are mainly using the same bolt-ons as a five-oh as you mentioned. These cars really seem to wake up with longtube headers, good exhaust, and good computer tuning. It's difficult to improve upon the factory aspiration with head/intake porting, as Ford seems to have done a very good job of engineering the intake system. Gains can be had with extensive modifications, but there aren't many people who know exactly what to do with the heads to make appreciable gains (and I'm not one of them at this point).

Get some lower gears in there, and really have a bawl.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2001 Cobra and I highly recommend it. On the junko worn out BFGs I ran an easy 13.91 at 104.??. 106 mph stock sounds a little high, since my car dynoed at 297HP and 303TQ at the wheels with no mods other than a MAC CAI. Many to most of the '01s were dynoing above 320, to my knowledge. I think I still like the '98 body better, tho. FRPP is doing the heads and intake for the '98 that should add loads of power. You could turn your car into a rocket with that combo.

Just my $0.02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts