Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to be no info in this thread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK???? the first one didn't post.....

Anyway, I just got a 99 cobra motor and I am looking for some advice on which direction to go. If any of you that have built a cobra motor wouldn't mind letting me know what setups have worked and which ones have failed. I am open to any ideas as long as they make some serious hp.

I am looking to swap this into my 2001 GT.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you looking for naturally asperated power, or are you looking for information on forced induction setups? What type of money are you looking on investing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am really open to either forced induction or n/a. I realize that building a n/a motor could be considerably more expensive. I would like to keep the budget under 10K, I would be hard pressed to spend more. I was also thinking about a turbo setup...any experience with turbos? If I went with a super charger, I think I would prefer a postitive dispacement (probably first choice of anything). I do not plan on using this car as a drag car only. It is a street car that is my daily driver right now, once the motor goes in it will more than likely be a secondary car.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well turbo kits are still up in the air as Turbo Driven concepts were trying to make a come back but have recently disappeared off the map again , or more or less their phone lines have been temp. Disconnected.

You can get a very nice N/A stroker engine for around 7,000. A complete engine race ready pushing 450HP N/A with a redline of around 8500RPM's.

Other wise you can spend as much as 6000,00 supplying yourself with a vortech supercharger setup. But remember on our 99 vehicles most individuals whom have been looking for major HP or numbers above 550hp have had to adjust to a return style fuel system that our 99's have been so generously supplied with by FoMoCo. But remember that also when building up HP in a vehicle it just doesn't stop with dumping in some power, you will most likely need a new clutch setup which can handle the added HP and Torque. Tires are also a good idea.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can get a very nice N/A stroker engine for around 7,000.
Is that buying an entire motor or just a stroker kit, or a core swap?
If I went with the blower, how much hp can the cobra bottem-end handle without having problems.

Also If I did do a blower and did headwork and cams, how much $$ and hp am I looking at.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone know of some vendors to get this stuff from? I know SHM makes some nice($$$) stuff, anyone else?

Also, anybody running a turbo on these motors?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Theirs a small company up here in michigan that has been doing stroker kits for Mercury Marauders and Mustangs. 5.0 and 5.3
I know they did some ones 97 cobra on the corral some where.
The individule whom was doing the work is named Greg VanPeenen. Been building nascar engines for awhile.
Anyway I beleived he did a 97 4.6 DOHC to a 5.3L with fully ported head work, Forged JE pistons, oliver rods, new cobra crank forged. Tons of other parts. Pretty much complete everything for like 7000-75000. thats with a core block. I think he was only offering that price before x-mas. Not sure now. But was pushing 450Hp with the 5.3 stroker.

Their are some turbo stang s running aorund but not many 4.6 modular turbo vehicles probably less then a dozen or so, perhaps two dozen. (?)

SHM stuff is over priced. I know one of the engineers whom left SHM motorsports and works for another well known company most mustang people buy from. (Don't want to say who) but he told me that SHM wasn't what it was all cracked up to be. I've meet Sean at many ford events. SEMA, PRI and some ford dinners and he enevr really seems to be that friendly.

A stock bottom end of a cobra motor can takea great deal of abuse. I've rarly heard of anyone killing a cobra crank yet. The main issues with our vehicles are the pistons and rods, well then the oil problems, then move on to the return style fuel system.
But I've seen people over at PHP push 550+ on stock engines with a vortech V-1 and still keep the engine running very well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
stang99svt said:
Theirs a small company up here in michigan that has been doing stroker kits for Mercury Marauders and Mustangs. 5.0 and 5.3
I know they did some ones 97 cobra on the corral some where.
The individule whom was doing the work is named Greg VanPeenen. Been building nascar engines for awhile.
Anyway I beleived he did a 97 4.6 DOHC to a 5.3L with fully ported head work, Forged JE pistons, oliver rods, new cobra crank forged. Tons of other parts. Pretty much complete everything for like 7000-75000. thats with a core block. I think he was only offering that price before x-mas. Not sure now. But was pushing 450Hp with the 5.3 stroker.

Their are some turbo stang s running aorund but not many 4.6 modular turbo vehicles probably less then a dozen or so, perhaps two dozen. (?)

SHM stuff is over priced. I know one of the engineers whom left SHM motorsports and works for another well known company most mustang people buy from. (Don't want to say who) but he told me that SHM wasn't what it was all cracked up to be. I've meet Sean at many ford events. SEMA, PRI and some ford dinners and he enevr really seems to be that friendly.

A stock bottom end of a cobra motor can takea great deal of abuse. I've rarly heard of anyone killing a cobra crank yet. The main issues with our vehicles are the pistons and rods, well then the oil problems, then move on to the return style fuel system.
But I've seen people over at PHP push 550+ on stock engines with a vortech V-1 and still keep the engine running very well.
Lets just say I am sure that SHM didn't suffer any quality problems do to this particular person leaving. To insinuate otherwise is just dumb and shows a lack of business experience and lends itself to the ...Corral CockRoaches. Overpriced? You aren't even on the same planet with that reply. I work with some of the best engine bulders on earth and to say they are overpriced is rediculous.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I'm sure Sean didn't change anything on his manufaturing side from this individule leaving the company.
Again we all have different opinions on companies. And no doubt SHM was one of the first and formost individules when it comes to the 4.6 stuff. But I think even compaired to say Modular performance in florida. SHM is over priced for his work.
And other wise I know he lost a pretty big forgein engine deal because of his quality. I mean I guess everyone has his ups and downs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts