Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just giving some thoughts to aerodynamics for my 2003 GT. What are your thoughts on spoilers / wings? I picked up a real Ford Cobra R wing but have not installed it (needs repaint). I have read that these really don't have any real contributing downforce but for $200 I figured I would snap it up. I have seen that Saleen sells a 1-piece spoiler 10-1108-B11961 and the American Muscle website states "it'll significantly increase downforce over your rear wheels for better performance". However, I do not see any statement like this on the Saleen Website. Steeda also has a "functional street wing" that has "high speed downforce" p/n 307-0005. I am not sure that I believe this as it has pretty much the same design as the none functional stock spoiler and it is in the same location. Then, there there is APR performance GTC-200 which is a legitimate wing, in the correct position and also costs upwards of $730.

My application is just open track HPDE. Not competition. My suspension is well sorted with MM K-member, MM control arms (with delrin), solid mount steering rack, adjustable tie rod ends, Steeda solid sway bar mounts, Eibach front (35mm) and rear (25mm) sway bars, mm camber / caster plates, full length SFC, MM torque arm, MM panhard bar, MM coil over conversion with Koni yellow single adjustable, MM strut tower brace.

Should I just go with a front splitter and ditch the rear spoiler / wing idea altogether? Or will a splitter without a decent spoiler / wing cause more problems?

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1989 Mustang GT, coyote swapped*
2,011 Posts
Aero is interesting, you need to balance it out front/rear you cant just throw a massive wing on the rear because the car is going to push bad, same if you put a massive splitter up front the car is going to oversteer bad.

Id say start with suspension and tires and get a feel for the car before you start spending money on aero.

These cars need: oil cooler, PS cooler, most likely front brake ducts (depending on how hard you are going) performance brake pads, racing brake fluid... these things are going to yield a better day on the track then just putting some saleen spoiler on the rear.

ALSO! bring the stock swaybars to the track so you can swap different bars to change the balance of the car. Focus on chassis stiffening before swapping bars, swaybars should be last in the suspension setup.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What are your spring rates?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
The car handles pretty well. I am just looking forward and thinking a little more planted would be good.
What does "pretty well" mean? Turn-in neutral, mid-corner push, exit oversteer? Or turn-in push, mid-corner oversteer, exit neutral? Or some other combo. Mustangs generally like to push on entry (factory preference) and get into oversteer mid corner (driver induced). If the springs and bars aren't doing what you want, aero just magnifies the issue.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Your combo of parts looks good. I think you need to drive it some and report back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts