Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the exact same size flexplate put on these two cars? I realize that the 00 is an 8 bolt battern vs a 6 bolt pattern but I'm more interested in the actual flexplate bolt pattern (e.g. torque converter where it bolts on) -------- are they any different between the two years?

Thank you,
Tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
bump

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surely someone knows....

According to Randy S. @ Universal Ford ---- the trannies are exactly the same with exception of the 2001 models.

This TC worked in a 99 and this engine I have is a 2000, according to Ford... the only difference is 6 bolt (99 model) vs (2000 model) which is 8 bolt. But, the bolt holes do not line up for the flexplate/torque converter.

I have a spare flexplate now and tried it... they will not line up... anyone else run into this problem and if so, how did you remedy it? The bolts on the TC are welded ............

Anyone anyone.....

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Tim,

Dont you have both the 96-98 and the 99+ flexplate in front of you? Why dont you just compare them?

Didn't you mock up the convertor to the flexplate before you tried to install the tranny?

There shouldnt be any difference in the bolt pattern for the flexplate if they are all from a 4R70W as far as I know. Maybe you have them in the wrong holes?

James

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IslandVobra said:
Tim,

Dont you have both the 96-98 and the 99+ flexplate in front of you? Why dont you just compare them?

Didn't you mock up the convertor to the flexplate before you tried to install the tranny?

There shouldnt be any difference in the bolt pattern for the flexplate if they are all from a 4R70W as far as I know. Maybe you have them in the wrong holes?

James
I have a stock converter in there right now and yes I did try to align them... they do not line up, believe me. Obviously something is different here for sure because this TC will fit on someones' 99 GT but not my 2000 flexplate?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Ok so tell me what flexplates/convertors you have right now in your posession.

Are the PI and the stock TC the same bolt pattern? Hold them up stud to stud and see if they match up, if not somethings wrong.

James

·
Registered
116 Posts
Umm the 99 auto is also a 8 bolt.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You have to drill new holes in the flexplate. If you got a PI converter, look in the little booklet, somewhere in there is tells you where to drill the holes. I had taken the booklet out of the box and the guys that installed my TC called me and said it wouldnt line up. So I happen to see that in the book and took them the booklet.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also have a PI converter. And Silverpony00 is Correct. You need to drill new holes in the plate.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Hmmm... wondering if I will have to drill holes in my 5.0 flexpate? How the F*$# do you position the holes so that ypu do not have excessive runout? :confused:

That seems pretty gay to me. For what they charge for a "custom" converter, the damn thing should bolt right in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I installed my PI convertor a while back I remember it not matching up to the flexplate as well. After looking at it for a bit I noticed that I could move the studs/bolts (don't compleatly recall all the details offhand) on the convertor to a second set of pre-drilled & taped holes. I tried that, and viola, everything match right up.

BTW, my 99 GT also came with the 8 bolt pattern.

EDIT: opps, just noticed that you mentioned your bolts were welded in place. In that case I guess you'll either have to drill new holes in the flexplate, or cut off and grind down the bolts that are welded in so you can use the other set of holes..

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
whats different about a 2001 gt unit?
how is the TC different? and what year did the bolt pattern change?
and lastly, what company do you have to use for BOLT IN operation!?

·
Registered
224 Posts
When I bought my ProTorque converter, they asked me what bolt circle I had, and they installed the mounting pads to fit my flexplate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The P.I. converters have a dual bolt pattern and unless there are 3 different bolt patterns (doubt it) it will line up to the AOD or the 4R70W. I first ordered an ArtCarr converter and they told me it would bolt up but it didn't. They said I needed to drill my flexplate to accept the holes on their converter, I said no, for that price you can have it back. I called P.I. and they told me about their dual bolt pattern so I ordered it and it worked perfect.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks like there are 3 places on the PI Stallion converter where the studs that mount to the flexplate could go. I'm unsure if these bolts are welded (although they look like it) or just kind of spot-welded.

My questions now would be:

1) How do I drill new holes ensuring that the flexplate is aligned properly? Obviously I can use a pencil or something to mark the spot to drill but is that the proper way to do this?

2) Did anyone drill their own holes? If so, what procedure did you use?

Any other help would be great... so far I'm hearing that new holes will need to be drill into the flexplate which seems very anal to me on an expensive converter and I would think it would be a "bolt-up" and go item! Errrrrrrrrr!

Anyone else have some info here?

·
Registered
90 Posts
You should have gotten a booklet with the converter if not well you might need to call PI

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Silverpony00 said:
You should have gotten a booklet with the converter if not well you might need to call PI
Thanks but I don't have the booklet... anyone here have the booklet and can take a picture of that page and post it up or something?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts