Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 98 Cobra will not idle. She tried to start it this morning and it will not idle. I came home from work to give her my truck to drive and I started the Cobra. It will start up, rev to 1200 and then immediately die. I tried keeping it running by holding the pedal down but as soon as I let off, the car died. No CEL or anything.......
I did smell some raw gas while revving it up.
I changed one O2 sensor on it about a month ago and cleaned out the IAC.

My 89 GT did this a few years ago when a ECT died on it.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Casey

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I replaced the O2 sensor a month ago, I cleaned the IAC, cleaned the K&N and used some electrical parts cleaner on the MAF element. Maybe cleaning and relubing the K&N might have gunked up the element in the MAF again. I will try that 1st before I buy anything.......
I am going to take a half day today so I will post results.

Any other things to look at if that isnt it.

Casey

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well if you've already had to clean the IAC once, I bet it's still the problem. My car did the same thing a couple years ago and I kept cleaning the IAC for over 2 months, once a week. I finally just bought a new IAC and haven't had any other problems. Cleaning it only gives the IAC a little more time before it will need to be replaced. And I would definetly check into replacing it soon since you don't want it to stick closed when you're cruising to a stop and lose your breaks and steering (TRUST me, Not fun!).

John

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
IAC

As soon as i saw this post i knew the Problem and also answer...........just as he said the IAC Valve is the problem......This will cost a little to replace but it's a replacement that can be done by you in less then 5-10 minutes.......Two Bolts and One Sensor Connector.........The Dealership will charge you around 225-250 to do this which the Part alone from ford is 125+tax and the rest is labor which i think is BS and they wonder why people hate taking anything to the dealership.....do yourself a favor and be like me find a parts vendor near you Advanced Auto parts,Carquest etc which the part will come in around $70-85 and install it yourself.....make sure you disconnect your battery anytime you do any type of work dealing with replacing sensors.:joy: Well get Cracking
Joel

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked at Autozone and they list it at $48.99! Cool.....

I am pretty well versed in the IAC since I've owned my 89 since brand new. I think I've cleaned it more than I have changed the oil in the 180k miled car!

Its amazing that I will tackle everything on my car and only let a few people work on it but her Cobra.......I havent touched it. I hate to work on it!! :)

Thanks guys and I will post results after lunch.

Casey

·
Registered
931 Posts
this is the same prob i am having with my cobra but i thought it had to do with the blower i just put on. Lemme know what happens!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I cleaned the MAF element......didnt fix it. Went to Autozone to pick up a IAC and they didnt have any in stock and none in the warehouse. Great! They had it listed at $48.99......so I went to Advance and they could get one overnight for $84.99. Big difference but I had to have it......
I'll post tomorrow evening the results of the swap.
Thanks guys
Casey

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Glad i could help man take care

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replaced the IAC last night and that fixed it.

Thanks
Casey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts