Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 98 Cobra has 110k miles on it and it appears it needs a tuneup.
Is there any trick to changing the plugs? Any special tools needed? Anti-seize for the plugs? I've never changed plugs that were in the top of the cylinder head before.

I priced Ford spark plugs wires and dont think I want to spend $100+ for them. Are the parts store brands good for this model car? I've used the Autozone lifetime warranty 8mm wires on my 89 GT before and was impressed. Any others under $100 that are good. Mind you this is a daily driver for my wife. It is never raced.

Thanks
Casey

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Very easy, probably one of the easiest engines to change the plugs on...hardest and most time consuming part is taking the intake tube off...and you don't have a strut tower brace to mess with...

You'll need some anti-seize and a spark plug socket or an old spark plug boot to help pull the plug out of the head...other than that it's very straight forward...just be sure to not cross thread the new ones when you are putting them in and don't over tighten them because the aluminum heads don't like that much...Gap them to .052-.054" and torque them down to 7-14ft-lbs...should take about 30-45 min max...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Make sure you hand tighten the plug in. I use a old piece of vacuum hose and attach it to the top of the plug to thread it in. Crossthreading the head is a painfull mistake.

Also use antiseize.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have an air compresor blow the holes out before you remove the plugs. Just to make sure there is no dirt to get in the cylinders.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds pretty simple.....I should have no problem then. THanks a bunch guys!

Now what about some stock replacement style plug wires? Anywhere to get them less than $100? Autozone?

Casey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts