Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd let anybody know who didn't already know. The fuel pump plug is different on a '99+ then a '98.

I swear, there isn't ANY one little thing Ford didn't change between these two years. So, here's to you Mr. Ford Engineer Designer, for making me take my tank off only to find this out.

:lol:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yup, I found out the hard way too. The 98's seem to be a bastard version that don't match the earlier ones OR the later ones. Have you tried to fit the pump in the basket yet? That's another nice suprise . . . at least it was for me. Get your dremel out . . .

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the dremel ready.

So what did you do with the plug?

I was contemplating going to a junkyard to search out a '99+ fuel pump plug but decided I'll order the GSS 342 for a '98 instead. I don't really want to mess with stuff that could blow my car up if it sparks. :lol:

Did you order one for a '98? And if so, is it the correct plug atleast? Or did you have to rig something up?

·
Registered
663 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Walbro pups 255lph and bigger don;t come with the harness attached. They make the pumps for varios applications and add the appropriate harness to each "kit". You may still end up doing the wiring.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I spliced the wires. Nobody seems to have any good answers about 98GT fuel pumps. When I ordered my pump, I ordered the one for 98GTs. GSS342. It has run fine for 500 miles . . .

·
US Air Force Active Duty
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
playahata, it seems that you are correct.

The guy I bought the pump from emailed me and told me he had the Walbro harness on his car still and that he would mail it to me ASAP.

He forgot to send it with the pump. Not a problem to me, in fact, I'm relieved that I won't have to buy a new pump. :lol:

-Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts