Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i plan to swap a cobra motor into a GT as soon as i get one(couple weeks i hope) well my question is what are the differences between the 98 DOHC and the 99 DOHC?? I found a 98 with low miles(10K) and also a 99 with more miles (42K) just wondering which would be better to go with.

If there were any performace differences i may go with the 99 despite the milage.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The 99 has the better tumble-port heads and doesn't need the dual-runner intake of the 96-98's. It still feels a little soft down low though, in comparison I hear, to the 96-98 engine. As far as specifics on the block, cams, and other internals, I'm not exactly sure. I'd imagine the reciprocating assembly is carryover stuff, but the cams are probably different.

Also, there are aftermarket intakes available for the earlier 96-98 engines, so that might also be a factor in your decision.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Dillons98GT said:
is there even any RWHP difference?? They were rated difference from the factor right?
96-98's are rated at 305hp, and put down ~260rw.

99/01's are rated at 320hp, and put down ~280rw.

Heads, cams, intake, and ignition, and fuel system are all different.

If you're going forced induction, stick with the 96-98 motors. Heads flow better up top. If you're gonna stay NA, go with the 99/01.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will be running forced induction. in the form of a supercharger probably a vortech S-trim or a procharger P1-SC. SO the 98 motor would be better suited for the blower application??

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Dillons98GT said:
i will be running forced induction. in the form of a supercharger probably a vortech S-trim or a procharger P1-SC. SO the 98 motor would be better suited for the blower application??
The heads flow a bit better over 6000rpm. In stock form. In anycase, a built bottom end will be needed for longevity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts