Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 runs hot around town, When the AC unit is turned on, the radiator fan turns on and provides cooling.
Does not overheat, but begins to miss when temp goes high.
The temperature gauge reads very low in the range but does move upscale when the engine is too hot.
I have isolated the tranny cooler from the radiator and have installed an auxiliary rad for the tranny.

What is my most likely fix?
My temperature sending unit? Does the temp gauge use the same sender as the computer input signal?
The cooling fan flat module located in the engine compartment, I think it runs the fuel pump as well.
Any ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Your car has two sensors, one is for the ecu and one is for the dash. With a thermometer verify the temperature. I would also check the coil pack with a multimeter when it’s hot and cold and compare the numbers. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to do a compression test as the 3.8 has a tendency to blow head gaskets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your car has two sensors, one is for the ecu and one is for the dash. With a thermometer verify the temperature. I would also check the coil pack with a multimeter when it’s hot and cold and compare the numbers. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to do a compression test as the 3.8 has a tendency to blow head gaskets.

To the best of my knowledge, here is no second sensor for the engine management system on the V6 in the SN95 Mustang. If I am wrong, point me to the location of the sensor and where it can be bought. My other cars have the 2 sensor system, but I cannot find it in the Mustang.

Thank you for the tip on the coil pack.

The engine has been rebuilt and the traditional head gasket issue has been resolved.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stand corrected - I think,
There is a tower fitting directly on top of the thermostat housing and it has a single point connector.

Also, there is a tower type fitting on the intake just left of the thermostat housing. It has a connector with a more complicated connector, probably 2 pin. I think it is on the routing leading to the heater core.

Which of these temperature sensors runs the ECU?
My first guess is the single pin unit on top of the thermostat housing.

Thanks for making me do a double check on this.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The single wire is probably for the gauge, that’s how the pushrods are set up anyway. I’m not too familiar with the 3.8, I owned one years ago but I never really messed with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 07gts197.

I changed both my temperature sensors. The gauge sensor is TS376 (Standard) and the engine management system sensor is SW-2328 (Motorcraft).

Now my temperature gauge reads in a more realistic part of the gauge, and my radiator fan turns on due to engine temperature.

Allow about 10 minutes to get the electrical connector from the gauge temperature sensor, and use a small flat screwdriver to pinch up the push-in part of the connector.

Thanks again 07gts197, my initial hubrus almost prevented me from solving this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.