Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wrecked 96 Cobra and installing the brakes on my fox. I have heard to use the 96 control arms for a wider track and better handling, then I have heard not to. I know I need caster camber plates if I go with the 96 arms. But is it really worth it?

So what is the best route to go?

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
the 96 control arms are almost .5-1 inch longer than the factory 87-93 Fox control arms. if using those arms, it's going to plant your front tires at least 1/2 inch beyond the fenders... it will not work right, nor will it look right.

Now, if you had a set of Capri front fenders that are flared out from the factory, I assume you could do it with it looking "ok".

The best thing to do on a Foxs is use the 94-95 spindles with your factory 87-93 Fox control arms. Matt90GT has the best website for brake conversions and TONS of info on the control arms... or Adma Dugger's website is also very good with TONS of info.

Do a search here in the forums using their user names...

·
Registered
336 Posts
I bought '96 Ford front control arms with the "low-friction" ball joints from MM. I had no idea they were going to be longer. I am going to '95 spindles with 13" Cobra rotors. I am currently running 245/45/17 on a 8" wide rim with no issues and plan to stay with that same tire on Bullitts. I assume this is all going to change when I swap out the control arms and spindles, huh?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Would you suggest keeping the current control arm and changing the ball joints to '96 style and changing the bushings as well? Urethane or rubber?

·
Registered
336 Posts
BUT... I'm putting 95 axles in the rear which, as you know, are .75" longer. So, would this be OK with the front control arms being longer?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
You can use hardened washers as a spacer so you can tighten the bolt down onto the new spindle. Alternatively you can replace the ball joint with 95-up ball joint and new spacer. If you are on your original ball joints, I would replace them.

You can use the longer SN 95 axles because they do not change the fundamental geometry of the suspension, only the angle.

If you add the wider control arms, you are going to make the strut/spinde at an angle they were not designed to work at.

Check out Matt's page. Full of details and parts to make this work: http://sn95brakes.cjb.net/

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
newdy22 said:
BUT... I'm putting 95 axles in the rear which, as you know, are .75" longer. So, would this be OK with the front control arms being longer?
no.

listen to what has been posted for you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have control arms with 190,000 miles on them. One ball joint has been replaced. Bushings are original. Should I get "Ford" '96-up ball joints? Or can I use parts from Pep Girls?

If I convert to 96-up ball joints, I will not need any spacers for the ‘95 spindles, right? I've read Matt's site, several time, thanks. I just want to make sure I'm not screwing up here.

Also, should I replace my bushings with urethane or rubber? Pro’s and Con’s, please.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
newdy22 said:
I have control arms with 190,000 miles on them. One ball joint has been replaced. Bushings are original. Should I get "Ford" '96-up ball joints? Or can I use parts from Pep Girls?

If I convert to 96-up ball joints, I will not need any spacers for the ‘95 spindles, right? I've read Matt's site, several time, thanks. I just want to make sure I'm not screwing up here.

Also, should I replace my bushings with urethane or rubber? Pro’s and Con’s, please.
You have a couple of options here:

1) Buy new bushings and ball joints, and replace them in your stock control arms.
+ Buying 95-up ball joints, you won't need spacers
+ You can pick which type of bushing you want to you
- If you don't have a press for the bushings, you will have to pay someone to do it.
- More time and effort to complete.

This is the option I did. I am going off of memory here, but I think the ball joints were $40 a piece, and I got energy suspension bushings for $40. I spent $8 on a can of black chassis paint, blasted and repainted the arms. I have access to a press for the bushings, and I "loan-a-tooled" the ball joint press, so I had about $130 into them. Add price to remove and replace bushings if you can't do it.

2) Buy the Ford Motorsports fox replacement control arms
+ Easy remove and replace, swap and go.
- Need spacers for the ball joints.

The cost for these I believe is in the $180-$200 range, but gives you some advantages.

As to the decision on material for the bushings, that is up to you. The urethane will be a little harsher, but provide better handling. If your factory rubber bushings are already shot, then replacing them with fresh rubber ones will be an improvement.

·
Registered
336 Posts
False Alarm! I called Maximum Motorsports today concerning the control arms I bought. The arms are 87-93 control arms that have '96 low-friction ball joints and improved bushings. They are not newer style control arms.

MM's online catolog states:

"This kit upgrades the front lower control arms on 79-93 Mustangs and utilizes the 1996 control arms’ low-friction ball joints and improved inner bushings. Dramatically improves the impact harshness qualities of your vehicle and is recommended when heavy duty suspension components are added. Kit includes LH and RH lower control arm assemblies."

When I read it now, it makes sense. Initially, I thought I was buying '96 control arms.

Thanks for the info, very good stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts