Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, what is goin' on, I though I was doin' pretty good and all but geez, I can't get over 100 mph hump. I had 6 passes tonight and 14.20 at 99.34 mph is the best?

2.26 60ft
9.28 1/8 mile
14.20 @ 99.34

Thats everything on the sheet. What can I do to improve? This was done on my normal Kumho street tires. Traction seems to be a bit of a problem. All I wanna do is break this thing into the 13's at over 100 mph on street tires and I'll quit racing it. Thats all I wanna do. What can I do to get there? Look in my sig for mods. I need some help here!!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
What is the altitude of the track you race at? What rpm are you shifting at? What is the weather like? All of these variables influence your mph.

Jerome

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry missed the part about street tires, go back to the 4:30s that should get ya there, that and a little more practice

·
Registered
155 Posts
Your launch is killing you--MORE gear and sticky tires and you could see 105! good luck:joy:

·
US Army Active Duty
34 Posts
Wickedslobra said:
Ok, what is goin' on,
Dont be offended, but do you know how to drive the car down the 1320? With the mods you have listed that 96 should be in the 101-102 MPH range.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dont be offended, but do you know how to drive the car down the 1320? With the mods you have listed that 96 should be in the 101-102 MPH range.
Actually that mph is what a stock Cobra should be running if not better. My 98 Cobra bone stock ran a [email protected], I think Bob ran a almost identical time in his 98 Cobra. My time was done only with a 2.17 60 ft. time. Not the best but what cn you do with a non Drag Radial or slick. With a Bassani X Pipe with cats, 3.73's ( I know), and Ultra Flo mufflers I ran a [email protected] bumping against the rev limiter in 3rd gear going through the traps. My 60 ft. time on this run was actually a little worse at 2.19. Either he isn't shifting properly,and taking her near redline, or the times aren't adjusted for altitude and weather. I personally think it could be in need of a good tune, and driver needs more practice. Dave.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Dave, any times with the M3?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sounds like it's just driving or it's just very hot there now.
My 97 ran [email protected] stock, stock, stock on a crummy track.

I know it's been stupid hot here in Baton Rouge the last month or so and if you are in Waco I know it's not much better.

My Cobra usually runs 108mph now and last time I went a couple of weeks ago I only managed a 105.

Heat sux!!!!

You are shifting at 6700-7000 right?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I do believe that traction is not effecting his mph. Running DR will help his et but not his mph.

Fourcam...I know a guy that ran his stock 02 M3 at a local track here. He ran 14.0 @100mph all night. Not sure what his 60 footers were. This as at a 2300 foot elevation track.

Jerome

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Elevetion is like 500ft. and temp was around 85 degrees. I shifted that b*tch at like 7,000 (from what my tach said). Those are the times I got. I'm workin' that clutch the best I can and thats how I did. A bone stock '02 Z-28 handed my @ss to me with a run of 13.3 at like 106 mph. HELP ME!!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Put some 4.56 gears and a set of drag radials to bring your et down into the 13s. Then get some headers (BBK LT or JBA 1-5/8 shorties) to get your mph up.

Jerome

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fourcam, I only took the car to the track once as I am afraid of breaking something :D , but it has run a best of 13.22 @ 106.8 mph with a 2.07 60 ft. time. Someone on bimmer.org has run a 12.97 @ 107mph. He said the air was kicking that night and the track was biting. He posted a time slip and I do believe him as his 60 ft. time on that run was 1.90 with the stock Michelins. As far as someone running 14.0's even at 2300 ft. elevation the air must of been equivlent to 3000 ft to run so bad. Even my first run of 3 with the car I ran a 13.55 @ 106mph with a 2.11 60 ft. time. The M3 is so easy to launch, it has awesome traction and gearing. 1st gear is 4.24:1 with a 3.64:1 final drive, 2nd is like 2.68:1 and it goes to 8K rpm so quickly you really have to keep your eye on the tach as you will bump up against the rev limiter. Car maxes out at 7900 rpm redline (fuel cutoff) is at 8100 rpm. Dave.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry for the crappy photo, its a old digicam (only 1.2mp). How do I shrink it so it looks better?? :eek: Dave

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hello Dave...I was at LACR two tuesdays ago watching a friend run with his blown Cobra. One of his friends was there with his 01 or 02 M3. I watched him run twice. He had ran once before I got there. His times were 14.0, 14.1, 14.0 all at 100mph. We know how that track runs.

Jerome

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't have to say anymore dude, LACR sucks. If he ran recently the air has been terrible up there, probably equating to 3000 ft. level. Not only that you have to deal with all the sand that gets on the track. I went to Bakersfield, at that day elevation was equivlent to 400 ft. ASL. Actually a 14.0 isn't that bad if the time isn't corrected, if it is yikes, the guy needs practice. Dave.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was in your same predicament. Frustrating, isn't it? What it took for me was a set of BFG 275/50-15 drag radials. You'll get sub-two second short times and put you under 14. Drag radials are street tires, right? I drove 200 miles to the track on mine so they must be.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How long will a set of drag radials last? I've heard that they don't last more than a few months and I can't afford to be replacing tires every other month. I'd like to use 'em though if they last a long time. Say atleast 6 months or so. Maybe I can find 2 more '96 Cobra rims, buy 'em and use 'em every now and then and I can put my normal street tires on the rest of the time. I dunno, but yes, It is frustrating!!!

-Clinton

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wickedslobra said:
How long will a set of drag radials last? I've heard that they don't last more than a few months and I can't afford to be replacing tires every other month. I'd like to use 'em though if they last a long time. Say atleast 6 months or so. Maybe I can find 2 more '96 Cobra rims, buy 'em and use 'em every now and then and I can put my normal street tires on the rest of the time. I dunno, but yes, It is frustrating!!!

-Clinton
BFG's last about 5000 miles, Nitto's about 10000. That's why I just bolt mine on when I go to the track.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Sweet Dave, beautiful car.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts