Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
went to track 2 weeks ago when I first notice my car running hot. on the M in norMal this happen while inline getting the # on my car, since I have not really driving my car. 2 days ago my car is now over heating went to the AL on normAL, and I got stuck on the side of the freeway with it hot.So I unstalled thermostat filled with water andl drove home with out "overheating". I thought great just a thermostat stuck. So I ordered a mr gasket 180 thermostat and installed it today along with 2 bottles of water wetter and coolant. Now I'm still overheating:(. I burped the system and got out all the air out "so I think" ,I then redrainded the system due to thinking I poured to much coolant in messign up the 50/50 water/coolant ratio. And then just putting nothing but water in took it for a drive and then let it idle it got up to the M on norMal again and it use to be on the OR nORmal. So it's still overheating .I can rule out the water pump cause the water went to a pink color the same as my coolant ,there for it's cycleing.

any ideas much appreciated.
also I called ford about the TSB and ran vin, guy said there was no recallsand no TSB nothing.DOH!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Call SVT about the TSB and they can get you the info. to tell to the dealer. Next have the TSB done so you can get the bigger 97 model Cobra fan. But, instead of putting in the 97 Cobra radiator (part of the TSB) order yourself a Steeda radiator. Now they offer two different one's, one if your car has NOT had the TSB done and one if your car HAS had the TSB done, so make sure you get the right one. Have the dealer install the Steeda radiator instead of the TSB one because the TSB 97 model radiator is too small to cool the DOHC's as well. Go back with your 180 degree T-stat and your two bottles of water wetter and as long as your water pump is working properly then your problem should be solved! ;) If not then I suggest an Evan's water pump. Hope that helps and TRUST ME, get yourself one of the Steeda radiators it makes a BIG difference!

·
Registered
213 Posts
If your car is just getting to the "A" on the gauge, that is hardly overheating. If your car is past the "L" and blowing steam out of the reservoir and radiator, that IS overheating. If your car is getting to the "A" and running ok still, don't worry about it. Otherwise, do what ALLNTRL said.

I had cooling problems with my car, I simply removed the thermostat, and it has been great ever since. I also have a Be-Cool radiator, so I think that helps a bit.

·
Registered
994 Posts
A STEEDA radiator will cure your problem. Mine run's at 180 degrees in 120 degree Arizona heat with the A/C going at full boogie. Not the cheapest solution, but it works.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frist thanks for all the info guys much much appreciated. I will take your advice and get the radiator however I think the fluiddyne is a little thicker then the steeda and might get it over the steeda."steeda 2-1/4" thick ,fluiddyne 3". I called svt to find out that my car has not been serviced for the overheating TSB.But my question is why for the passed 2 1/2 years that I owned the car it just now overheats out of the blue??? it's not even that hot out or anything? that is my concern.

Also when my car was overheating it was on the L and it was boiling over with little bit of steam.

before I order my raditor should I upgrade to the 97 cobra fan? Then when I get the raditor I have to order it for a 97 cobra instead of 96 correct? what esle was the tsb said to do besides raditor,97 fan,180 thermostat, remove the honeycomb grill up front? or is that it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hate to say it but a radiator is not going to solve your problem.....Whatever is going on with your car is the same problem that Pat96cobra and I have been dealing with. I also removed the thermostat and have had no problems since.

I live in Seattle and it doeesn't get that hot out here. My car however started getting really hot like the thermostat wasn't opening and then boiling out antifreeze without really getting too hot.(A in NORMAL) I put in a new thermostat and waterpump and that solved the problem for about 2 months. When after a couple months the car started getting really hot again, I parked it for the winter then pulled the thermostat last weekend. The car runs fine now. Anyway, I am going to install a Evans pump and see how that goes. Judging by what happens it seems like it either has to be a waterpump problem or a thermostat problem......I don't know if there is something that would cause the thermostat not to open but running without it cures the problem for now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
jp1seattle said:
I hate to say it but a radiator is not going to solve your problem.....Whatever is going on with your car is the same problem that Pat96cobra and I have been dealing with. I also removed the thermostat and have had no problems since.

I live in Seattle and it doeesn't get that hot out here. My car however started getting really hot like the thermostat wasn't opening and then boiling out antifreeze without really getting too hot.(A in NORMAL) I put in a new thermostat and waterpump and that solved the problem for about 2 months. When after a couple months the car started getting really hot again, I parked it for the winter then pulled the thermostat last weekend. The car runs fine now. Anyway, I am going to install a Evans pump and see how that goes. Judging by what happens it seems like it either has to be a waterpump problem or a thermostat problem......I don't know if there is something that would cause the thermostat not to open but running without it cures the problem for now.
what year is your cobra ? also have u tryed getting a raditor and it did not help or u just saying it won't with out trying?have u gotten the TSB fix if year 96? have u tryed different degree thermostats? 160 or 180? even perhaps water wetter?

also when I took out my thermostat to drive home it never overheated.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine is a 97 with a stock radiator.......Yeah, my cooling problems came out of nowhere. The car has always ran fine since day one then all of the sudden one day it starts getting hot and blowing antifreeze......then the coolant light comes on and the temp goes back down to normal....2 or 3 minutes later the coolant light goes off and the car starts getting hot again. It is definitely something strange that is happening to our cars. Like I said...the only time I have gotten somewhere is when I swapped thermostats and replaced the waterpump. But even then it only solved the problem for a couple months. Oh well....I guess for now I will just run without the thermostat. At least it is summertime.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jp1seattle said:
Mine is a 97 with a stock radiator.......Yeah, my cooling problems came out of nowhere. The car has always ran fine since day one then all of the sudden one day it starts getting hot and blowing antifreeze......then the coolant light comes on and the temp goes back down to normal....2 or 3 minutes later the coolant light goes off and the car starts getting hot again. It is definitely something strange that is happening to our cars. Like I said...the only time I have gotten somewhere is when I swapped thermostats and replaced the waterpump. But even then it only solved the problem for a couple months. Oh well....I guess for now I will just run without the thermostat. At least it is summertime.

Tommorow I think I will take out my thermostat and run it with out it and see what happens. On another forum someone posted that perhaps the radiator cap that is on our cars now are letting out perrsure and messing up the boiling point of the water. I can't really understand why this would affecting any thing but perhaps he has a point? defect cap?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I just installed a steeda radiator and a 180 thermo on mine and it did not solve the problem. It still runs around 210. I did buy the thermo at discount (looked cheap), so I haven't ruled that out. I put a 7lb cap on the radiator and I think that there is a 13lb on the resevoir, but again, I don't think that is causing a problem. I really don't want to swap the water pump so I guess I may try running mine without the thermo just for troubleshooting purposes.

How cool does yours run without the thermostat?

·
Registered
83 Posts
docdave22 said:
How cool does yours run without the thermostat?

Highway cruising mine runs just on the edge of NORMAL. Meaning on the "[" that seperates "NORMAL" from Cold. Stop and go driving puts me around the "N" and it has gotten as high as the "R" but cools right down when the fan kicks on.

Oh by the way....I plan on putting an Evans pump on sometime this summer. If you read my previous post, I did put a new OEM pump in and the problem went away for a couple of months....Whether it had anthing to do with the pump remains to be seen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jp1seattle said:

Highway cruising mine runs just on the edge of NORMAL. Meaning on the "[" that seperates "NORMAL" from Cold. Stop and go driving puts me around the "N" and it has gotten as high as the "R" but cools right down when the fan kicks on.

Oh by the way....I plan on putting an Evans pump on sometime this summer. If you read my previous post, I did put a new OEM pump in and the problem went away for a couple of months....Whether it had anthing to do with the pump remains to be seen.

just fixed my overheating problems it was the ****ing cap 6 bucks at napa auto parts I'm so happy:) I suggest anyone to start there along with 180 stat that was heating problem . I installed the cap then drove around could not get it passed O in nOrmal parked the car watch it get to the R noRmal then the fan kicked on then it went back to the O I then drove it around with the A/C and nothing passed R it's fixed. damn cap hehe

·
Registered
83 Posts
v8villain said:

just fixed my overheating problems it was the ****ing cap 6 bucks at napa auto parts I'm so happy:) I suggest anyone to start there along with 180 stat that was heating problem . I installed the cap then drove around could not get it passed O in nOrmal parked the car watch it get to the R noRmal then the fan kicked on then it went back to the O I then drove it around with the A/C and nothing passed R it's fixed. damn cap hehe

Really?????? Cool......I will try that then.....Finally somewhat of a solution!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Not flaming and am really curious but...

WTH does the cap have to do with overheating???

Did you just use a heavier cap, like 16lb. or something?

Tell us more.

Later, Jason

·
Registered
77 Posts
i noticed nobody said anything about this. on my friends car (84 gt) we took out the clutch fan and put on an electric fan from a cavaliar. it was running to hot but we didnt want to run it with out a t-stat. what we did was drill a small hole in the t-stat so it would allow a little bit more collant to flow than it normally would. it worked great in this application. i have yet to try it because my car never ran hot...... untill i put on asp pullies and now in traffic it goes to the al. so im going to give it a try this weekend if it stops raining.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mikesslow50h said:
i noticed nobody said anything about this. on my friends car (84 gt) we took out the clutch fan and put on an electric fan from a cavaliar. it was running to hot but we didnt want to run it with out a t-stat. what we did was drill a small hole in the t-stat so it would allow a little bit more collant to flow than it normally would. it worked great in this application. i have yet to try it because my car never ran hot...... untill i put on asp pullies and now in traffic it goes to the al. so im going to give it a try this weekend if it stops raining.
skip drilling a hole by mr gasket hiflow thermostat is comes with a bleeder vavle "aka hole":) 8 bucks threw summit

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
jmeiers said:

Tell us more.

Later, Jason
basically our caps are the overflow and there set to 16psi they give the correct pressure in the radiator, and most likely this causes a vacuum in the cooling system and some how the correct pressure has something to do with the boiling point.anyhow take how your cap and perhaps you'll overheat:)

·
Registered
480 Posts
v8villain said:
.I can rule out the water pump cause the water went to a pink color the same as my coolant ,there for it's cycleing.
Why is your coolant Pink? You are supposed to use the Green coolant in our cars. The pink stuff won't work.

v8villain said:
also when I took out my thermostat to drive home it never overheated.
How did you take out the thermostat without draining the entire system of water?

v8villain said:

Tommorow I think I will take out my thermostat and run it with out it and see what happens.
I thought you took it out already??

jmeiers said:

Tell us more.

Later, Jason
When the cap goes bad, it lets air get into the cooling system which causes the car to overheat.

mikesslow50h said:
i noticed nobody said anything about this. on my friends car (84 gt) we took out the clutch fan and put on an electric fan from a cavaliar.
Our cars already have electric fans...not clutch style mechanical ones.

·
Registered
77 Posts
skip drilling a hole by mr gasket hiflow thermostat is comes with a bleeder vavle "aka hole" 8 bucks threw summit
i didnt know summit makes one, i do now. thanks man

Our cars already have electric fans...not clutch style mechanical ones.
Mystic i know our cars have an electric fan i was just making a point that we put one on my friends car and it didnt supply enough cooling....... and the method we used to remedy the problem. and was just curious to try it on our cars (drilling the t-stat)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts