Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When doing a headswap to a 96-98 GT, are there any differences in sensor hookup locations besides the fact that the PI manifold doesn't have a sensor location for the fan?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
there are two coolant temp sensors. one if for the EEC and one is for the gauge on the dash. you do not have to connect the one for the gauge and you cannot just put the two together in a Tee configuration on one bung. i tried and it wont work. either leave it off or drill another hole. or run one down to the block drain plug on the drivers side (easiest to get to). will screw right in. there is a lot of info on this topic. use the search function.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I dont like to use the search unless I have to. This thread was already started so why not use it.

Will this cause the fan not to turn on? I already have a fan switch so will I have to activate it manually when i do the intake swap?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not worried about the coolant/fan issue, my question is are there any OTHER sensor hookups or anything that are actually different. Say you had a PI Swapped engine and you were pulling a non-PI engine out because you got a good deal on the PI Swapped engine. Would you have to worry about anything besides the coolant sensor crap when it comes to hooking the harness back up or does everything go back in the same place?

Thanks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you get one of the new style PI manifolds with the aluminum coolant crossover passage, you can drill & tap for the second sensor.

Otherwise your best bet is to extend the wires & put the sensor in the block as mentioned above.

Oh... Are you talking about putting a whole new '99+ engine in a 96-98 car?
In that case, it's still just the one sensor & the heater hose issue as long as it's not a Bullitt engine.
Take all the wiring harness, spark plug wires & fuel rails etc from your engine & put them on the 99+, coil packs have to be mounted, a few little issues.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See above :)

I'm talking about putting a PI Swapped 96-98 engine in to replace a non-PI 96-98 engine.

Again, I'm not at all worried about the coolant issues. Just wanna make sure nothing will be weird as far as hooking everything else up.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Check 97blacksteeds pI to non PI manifold install writeup. Here is his quote: "With the coolant drained out, now is a perfect time to put that other coolant temp sensor back in. I put mine in the driver side of the block. There is a little brass plug with an allen wrench port on it that the driver side CTS will thread right into. It is located right near the manifold towars the back of the block. Beware of yet another coolant spill. This one will be pretty big. Apply teflon tape and thread CTS in. You will later on need to splice into the wires for the CTS and extend them to the new sensor location. I have heard of several people doing this with now side effects whatsoever."
Sounds like an excellent way to do it.
Erich

·
Registered
847 Posts
if you don't hook up the sensor for the eec your a/c compressor will not come on. i tapped into the thermostat housing for the second sensor and no problems at all. for the whole engine swap it'll work no prob since you can re-use the coil packs.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
you will not have any issues other than the extra coolant sensor which i am sure the person who originally swapped heads on the 96-98 block took care of.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly what I was looking for stroked or blown. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
852 Posts
98Demon said:
if you don't hook up the sensor for the eec your a/c compressor will not come on. i tapped into the thermostat housing for the second sensor and no problems at all. for the whole engine swap it'll work no prob since you can re-use the coil packs.
Thanks for the info. I will need to do this.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey while there are so many people talking about the coolant sensors issue, is there a good documented write-up anywhere of how to, step by step, put a sensor location in the thermostat housing as some of you have done?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
i would run it down to the block drain on the drivers side. no tapping involved. just draining coolant and screwing it in.

·
Registered
852 Posts
hmmm... alright I wont do that then... I will have to look for this place on the block and prepare more before I tackle this on friday.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So there's no actual 'how-to' somewhere that would help someone who was planning to do it (not myself) that I could link them to to help them? I really don't even care how, or where, just as long as it's a tried and true method and it will work and instructions are easy for someone who's not super experienced with this stuff...?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
no need for a how-to. it is basic common sense. if you want to run the other temp sensor to the block drain, just lengthen the wire and run it away from the exhaust down to the side of the block where the coolant plug is. drain the coolant from the radiator, then from the plug you will remove. the temp sensor will screw right in. refill the coolant. i recommend (as stated above) that you go buy an 02+ lower intake with the aluminum crossover. you can drill and tap the spot where the sensor should be and you wont have to worry about lengthening the wires or draining the coolant. you will need a 19/32" (or 37/64 if you can find one) drill bit and a 3/8-NPT tap for this method.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts