Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm thinking about getting a used 96-98 cobra motor to swap into a GT when i find one i want. Well I plan to put a supercharger on it(Procharger, Vortech, Paxton, ect...) and I'm curious as to what everyone is running with a charger set up. RWHP?
1/8 times 1/4 times??
other mods ect....
I'm really leaning towards a P1SC with possible longtubes and 4.10 gears. Are 4.10s too much for a blown daily driver? This will be my only and daily driven car, so does anyone have driveability issues?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
see sig.... times are stock suspension with Mega bite Jr's, no front sway bar and ET streets.

I use a Vortech V1 S trim (3.33" pulley), AFM Powerpipe, Pro M 83, and 42 lb injectors... seeing 12-13 psi @6800.

I use 4.10's as well... They are not too much for daily driving with the RPM capability of the DOHC. You will be fine. You may even find you want a 4.30.

Good Luck.

Derek

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stock suspension?? thats a relief...i may not be able to get to the suspension until later this year. But the GT sups. is different than the Cobra sups. right? if so whats the difference??

How much HP and boost can these motors handle with stock internals??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check out www.alternativeauto.com to see how much the buggers can really handle. Lido if I remember correctly had 28lbs of boost on a factory untouched Cobra longblock for a LONG time. See my sig for info about my car. Good luck with your choice any way you'll be happy. Got Boost??

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VEGITA- thankd for the link, checked it out alittle probably will more tomorrow. Also your running the P1-SC right not the P600B??

I dont see any problem with running 10 lbs of boost now. :joy:
At first i planned to stay at 8 lbs but I maybe leaning towards 10 lbs now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah I run the P-1SC and love it to death man!!! 10lbs is very safe with a good tune!! You will be very happy with a Procharger,Vortech or Paxton.I like procharger the best I did tons of research and I think they offer the best gains of any brand out there. Good Luck man.:D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P1-SC is probably my first choice right now. Either with 8-10 lbs of boost.

How often do you drive your ca? Do you have any drivability problems? other than gas milage lol

·
Registered
474 Posts
My car is a daily driver too and I have run the 4.10s with the blower combo without any issues. Like Derek said, you'll probably wish you ended up going with 4.30s. I recall crossing through the traps in fourth gear at about 5,800 (if I'm not mistaken).

Some guys seem to have better luck than others when it comes to the blower and longevity. I ran with a really conservative combo and my engine only lasted 1,200 miles. I'm the original owner of my 96 and for the most part had 47,000 non-abused miles before the blower went on. My engine builder was baffled when he tore the block down. No visible signs of detonation on the top of the pistons, heavy buildup in my intake runners, etc.

The only advice I can offer you is to make sure of two things:

1) You've got enough resources to cover the cost of anything breaking.

2) Since it is your daily driver, you might want to consider what you would do in absence of your car for two or three months. When you are talking engine rebuild, no matter where you go or who you deal with, you are more than likely going to be facing some considerable down time.

I don't want to sound like I'm raining on anybody's parade, but just be prepared. Would I have done it over again? In a heartbeat. :D

Good luck,
Brian

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well having a car during down time wouldnt be a problem at all. My mom has an extra car that i have been driving ever since I totalled my 98 GT dec. 6th. I'm willing to take my chances with a conservative tune. :king:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Check signature

Engine never been touched, dynotuned by Chris
Johnson.
Bryan

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it is still up in the air which charger I will be going with. Its mainly between a P1-sc or a Vortech S-trim. I see fewer of the P1-sc but the intercooler just attracts to me. Seems like everyone is making good numbers with Vortechs and also I have seen a few used ones for sale, and I havent seen any P1s yet.

I have decided that I will be getting 4.10s

Havent decided if Longtubes are worth the money...although the install would be free because the motor would be already out. Not sure if BBk longtubes work with Autos either?

·
Registered
296 Posts
PritchSVT97 said:
see sig.... times are stock suspension with Mega bite Jr's, no front sway bar and ET streets.

I use a Vortech V1 S trim (3.33" pulley), AFM Powerpipe, Pro M 83, and 42 lb injectors... seeing 12-13 psi @6800.

I use 4.10's as well... They are not too much for daily driving with the RPM capability of the DOHC. You will be fine. You may even find you want a 4.30.

Good Luck.

Derek
Man is that on stock internals? 12-13 psi is some power w/o forged internals...are you plaining on upgrading or do you figure the car can handle it?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Yes that is on a totally stock motor, TB to pan. I need to edit that tho, I typo'd... its 11-12 psi @ 6800.

My intentions are to test the limits of the stock motor, with a GOOD dyno tune. I am adding 4.56's this year, as well as Hooker LT's, 3" X-pipe, and 3" Race Magnums w/ dumps. It will be tuned to 7500, with shift points @ 72-7400.

Suspension upgrades are also coming to hook it all. My goal witht he car is to rin 10's and make 500+ RWHP on the stock internals. Like I saud above it will remain untouched, TB to pan.

It should eclipse my goals right away this year!!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Dillons98GT said:
so is it safe to say I'd have a reliable daily driver with 10lbs of boost? Could it last for 2+ years??
YUP:D See Sig.
I have had the Vortech going on 4 years this spring, 2 years w/the boost upgrade, and over 35K mi. (57K total)...

Also if your GT is an auto you could have neat setup.(See www.Alternativeauto.com and look at the water box under the R470w (or whatever the hell they are called) tranny w/Bauman Engineering/Precision Industries' upgrades. :cool:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah I think its gonna be a nice setup. Right now i'm looking at a vortech S-trim with LTs, and a 3500(maybe) stall converter. I'm hoping to be mid to low 12s. your 12.4, those street radials or drag radials?? and how much boost you running now with the upgrade?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts