Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering polishing my stock '95 Cobra wheels, but what about the plastic center caps? They would not look the same as the rest of the wheel. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips about what to do?

Thanks,
IJ

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I had 95 Cobra wheels and polished them. Big job. The aluminum is cast of a VERY hard quailty and allot of work is requried to smooth out the "ridges" that is cast into them. Not to mention the THICK and HARD coating that Ford applies to them.

As far as the center caps go, someone does make a chrome one that is identical to the FOrd ones. (except they are chrome) I had the local Ford dealership get mine. (not sure where they sourced them from.)

(This was back in 1998, BTW.)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'm planning on doing the same thing. Here's what I plan on doing:
First, I'm stripping off the clearcout and then I'm going to use some polishing compound (not the auto parts store kind) but the compound that you use with a high speed polishing wheel. You'll have to be careful when you pull the clear coat off of the center cap, if you use something too powerful, it'll just melt the plastic (don't ask how I know that :eek: ). I saw a set of 96 Cobra wheels up at Dugan racing that had been fully polished and they looked like they were chrome. Good luck.

I X L
95 Cobra hardtop convertible
"an Evil SVT in the making"

·
Registered
697 Posts
polishing wheels

If you are going to do it yourself you should look up eastwood company. they sell polishing kit as well as seperate pieces.

·
Registered
554 Posts
my stock 16's are polished and look beautiful. Although the chrome coat on my center caps is starting to break off.

I would also like to know where to get these already chrome center caps.

Andy

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: polishing wheels

Brian95 said:
If you are going to do it yourself you should look up eastwood company. they sell polishing kit as well as seperate pieces.
Eastwood sells some nice stuff, but before you buy any of their polishing wheels or compounds, take a trip to Home Depot and look in their tools department. You'll save a ton of cash :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I am sure that thay are other places to get polishing compond you just have to look at the size bar.I bought a small
3.5 oz bar from a local store for 3.65 and bought a 13 oz bar from eastwood for 4.99. I guess it all depends on how much you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts