Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

My friend just got a 95 5.0 with a saleen body kit, a complete exhaust system (headers, off road, flows, intake, etc.), new fuel system, and somewhere in there I think he got new heads and he has 3.73s .... he says he'll hang with me. Will he? Let me put it this way, his car consistently grinds second (transmission's going), and the engine's got 130,000 miles on it. Any ideas? ALl I know is that my friends 98 GT with 3.73s and exhaust didn't come close. Any estimations? I Know that kinda broad. THanks.

Mike

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think he will hang with you. But race him and let me know.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My friend has a 94 Cobra, with full exhaust except headers, C&L mass air meter, 15* timing, and 3.73 gears. I can stay nose to nose with him down the track. He also has a 94 GT with the same mods and everytime I raced him in the GT, he's lost.

It should be a good match I say race him and find out what happens

·
US Navy Active Duty
652 Posts
I have been in your friends shoes. If he has heads and exhaust only, he still may not be able to hang with you. Having heads without and intake on a 94-95GT isn't going to do much. To really get maximum performance out of a sn95 5.0, a good dyno-tune, PIH, etc. is required. If you are a decent driver, I think your car will take his.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You gave specifics on everything, but were too general on the most important thing - which heads? GT40 heads? AFR 165s? big differences there. With a good set of heads, exhaust, etc. he could be pushing 300-320 crank hp with the stock cam and intake. But if the car is in disrepair, grinding second gear, etc. then you've got an excellent chance at beating him.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Yeah, what gulfcoast said. There are about a million and a half different kinds of cylinder heads. Plus, i don't think that intake would count under "complete exhaust."

·
Registered
225 Posts
ASilver01GT said:
My friend has a 94 Cobra, with full exhaust except headers, C&L mass air meter, 15* timing, and 3.73 gears. I can stay nose to nose with him down the track. He also has a 94 GT with the same mods and everytime I raced him in the GT, he's lost.

It should be a good match I say race him and find out what happens
With 4:10 gears you cant beat your friend??
when I had my 99 and 01 gt with gears ,dr's and bolt-ons I took the majority of 5.0.Now keep in mind they werent the really fixed up ones .
At the local track here 99 up gt's run about 5-8 tenths better than all 5.0's here.Bolt-on for bolt-on.:)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Best case for him would be that you can't drive at all and he can. Even then you should take him. 01 ls1 is right, about .5-.8 difference in the cars. Wider if he's the crappy driver and your not! :)

Ed

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well ive beat my brothers 95 gt both times ive raced him at the track but he has the quickest time out of me and him. His first run ever on a track was a 13.3 at 106. He didnt even launch out of the hole. Its an auto to. He has edelbrock heads, e303 cam, and most of the other bolt ons but no power adder. I had my brother by about a car length at half track and by the end it was almost even. My brothers car has 110,000 miles on it. If your friend has a good pair of heads(aka AFR 165's) and hes a decent driver he will start to reel you in at the top end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts