Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine is giving off an extremely pungent fuel smell and the right exhaust pipe has white smoke as well as some coming from the engine. I just replaced the O2 sensors and now im getting codes 311 and 314(thermactor) but I don't even have a smog pump I never had this issue for a long time. The engine hydrolocked with fuel not too long ago, fixed the injector that was leaking had them all cleaned, bought a new fuel pressure regulator and adjusted it to 30psi (which I was I formed is the correct psi) and it was good for some time but now I'm running into a similar issue. There are no cats, no smog pump, new fpr, new air filter, just did an oil change, new distributor and cap, new spark plug wires and spark plugs, injectors cleaned and fixed, new fuel filter, had it tuned recently I think about ~13°, no holes or anything in under hood fuel lines or leaks. It burns through gas very quick, difficult to start and when it does it quickly stalls and cant keep steady RPMs, is there something im missing?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
39 psi with no vacuum connected to the regulator is the correct pressure. White smoke isn't rich, it's typically coolant, maybe it's just really lean because you're fuel pressure is so low. Rich and lean both stink. Does the exhaust smell sweet? Oil in the coolant? Coolant in the oil? 10 degrees is factory timing. Did you do a compression test after fixing the injector. Typically something like that kills compression in that cyl because the fuel is washing down the cylinder walls and there is no lubrication. When you say you tuned it, what do you mean? Computer tuning?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Blown head gasket. Is the white smoke coming from the same bank that Hydrolocked? Then lean with not enough fuel pressure and too much timing then blew it. Is this a stock engine never been apart? Those stock head gaskets can only take so much punishment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
39 psi with no vacuum connected to the regulator is the correct pressure. White smoke isn't rich, it's typically coolant, maybe it's just really lean because you're fuel pressure is so low. Rich and lean both stink. Does the exhaust smell sweet? Oil in the coolant? Coolant in the oil? 10 degrees is factory timing. Did you do a compression test after fixing the injector. Typically something like that kills compression in that cyl because the fuel is washing down the cylinder walls and there is no lubrication. When you say you tuned it, what do you mean? Computer tuning?
It was 30 with the vaccume hose connected I just made sure and its not the fuel pressure. Exhaust doesn't smell sweet at all just like fuel, ill have to recheck the timing but my brother used a timing light and had it spot on running great a while ago, most of the engine isn't stock I have GT40 heads, headers, and intake manifold. No I did not do a compression test I was under the impression that it's an electrical issue, one of the injectors was leaking and I had it fixed but still same issue so it must not be that, I plan on testing if it's the computer leaving the injectors open causing what you're talking about. By tuned I was referring to adjusting the timing using a timing light.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blown head gasket. Is the white smoke coming from the same bank that Hydrolocked? Then lean with not enough fuel pressure and too much timing then blew it. Is this a stock engine never been apart? Those stock head gaskets can only take so much punishment.
Same bank yes, the fuel pressure is good the psi is at 39 vaccume hose off, 30 vaccume hose on. It's the same 302 but with GT40 heads, headers, and intake manifold. It could be a blown head gasket, but I haven't seen it over heat in a long time and the head gaskets aren't stock theyre felpro performance gaskets.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hydrolocking a cylinder will most certainly blow a head gasket. Do you remember what part number head gaskets were? Fel-pro has a few different part numbers for head gaskets in an sbf. Timing on the 94-95 cars should remain at 10 degrees with the spout out. Any more than that asking for trouble even with premium pump gas. And your smelling fuel thinking it's rich because you have a dead cylinder that is not firing because no compression with blown head gasket and unburned fuel is coming out the exhaust.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hydrolocking a cylinder will most certainly blow a head gasket. Do you remember what part number head gaskets were? Fel-pro has a few different part numbers for head gaskets in an sbf. Timing on the 94-95 cars should remain at 10 degrees with the spout out. Any more than that asking for trouble even with premium pump gas. And your smelling fuel thinking it's rich because you have a dead cylinder that is not firing because no compression with blown head gasket and unburned fuel is coming out the exhaust.
I think you're right, im doing one last test tomorrow using a noid light to see if the injector for cylinder #1(the problem cylinder) is being left open by the computer to see if it's a computer issue because when I had the injector fixed the dude told me it's like fuel was being forced through it. If the computer is fine and the injector isn't being left open, then I guess it is the worst case scenario but all I can do is hope it's not lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Compression test it on that hydro locked cylinder then do one on other bank and compare results. Or compression test all cylinders if you have the time.
Its not currently hydrolocked it was a couple weeks ago before I thought I fixed it, but ill definitely have to do a compression test. Thank you

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
since you checked fuel pressure I assume regulator is not leaking.

With infrared thermometer, check header temps and see if you have. A dead cylinder. Could be fouled plug from stuck open injector. I had an issue with two different computers (fox) that caused one injector to stay open. Issue was not the injector.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Timing off. No cats no smog. Humm looks like you know what many of your problems are.. go fix those and report back
The timing isn't off the stock is 10 but my car isnt stock, and cats/smog control do nothing but restrict performance. You're right I do know what the problems were, thanks for the feedback though

·
Banned
66 Posts
Engine is giving off an extremely pungent fuel smell and the right exhaust pipe has white smoke as well as some coming from the engine. I just replaced the O2 sensors and now im getting codes 311 and 314(thermactor) but I don't even have a smog pump I never had this issue for a long time. The engine hydrolocked with fuel not too long ago, fixed the injector that was leaking had them all cleaned, bought a new fuel pressure regulator and adjusted it to 30psi (which I was I formed is the correct psi) and it was good for some time but now I'm running into a similar issue. There are no cats, no smog pump, new fpr, new air filter, just did an oil change, new distributor and cap, new spark plug wires and spark plugs, injectors cleaned and fixed, new fuel filter, had it tuned recently I think about ~13°, no holes or anything in under hood fuel lines or leaks. It burns through gas very quick, difficult to start and when it does it quickly stalls and cant keep steady RPMs, is there something im missing?
Unless you are using a gas analyzer, or are watching fuel trims, I can tell you, you have no idea if you are running rich. Smell or smoke color is not going to give you reliable information. If your 02s are reporting a lean condition because you have an open circuit to ecm, the ecm will add fuel, you dont have a rich condition, you have incorrect input.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fixed the issue, took a lot of thinking and eliminating possibilities but it turned out to just be a bad ECT valve throwing the RPMs out if wack on top of a bad injector. I switched the supposed bad one with another, then took out the spark plug after it was running and it was in fact flooded, confirming it was a bad injector, the guy who cleaned it gave me a new one for free. I put it in and it started up fine and runs perfect, and the gas mileage is now exceptional. Compression test was good as well no blown head gasket, but cylinder number 1 was in fact running rich just being near the car you could smell the unburned fuel because of the injector leaking. So no, for whoever mentioned not having cats was the issue I call bs, those cats would've gone bad so fast with the amount of unburned fuel going through them. No check engine light either, and no codes for anything im not aware of. But anyway, thanks for the help to those who actually gave advice instead of acting like I dont know what I'm doing.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Fixed the issue, took a lot of thinking and eliminating possibilities but it turned out to just be a bad ECT valve throwing the RPMs out if wack on top of a bad injector. I switched the supposed bad one with another, then took out the spark plug after it was running and it was in fact flooded, confirming it was a bad injector, the guy who cleaned it gave me a new one for free. I put it in and it started up fine and runs perfect, and the gas mileage is now exceptional. Compression test was good as well no blown head gasket, but cylinder number 1 was in fact running rich just being near the car you could smell the unburned fuel because of the injector leaking. So no, for whoever mentioned not having cats was the issue I call bs, those cats would've gone bad so fast with the amount of unburned fuel going through them. No check engine light either, and no codes for anything im not aware of. But anyway, thanks for the help to those who actually gave advice instead of acting like I dont know what I'm doing.

A bad ECT valve throwing rpms out of whack? I call BS.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
what is an ECT valve?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts