1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 GT 5.0 is burning a lot of oil.

the car is 5.0, auto, BBK cold air kit, BBK pulleys,160 T-stat,
1.7 roller rockers, timing bumped to 14, mac headers, x-pipe,
flowmaster 3-chambers, 4.10 gear, and a chip the guy who did the gear for me put the chip in to make the trans work better with the 4.10 and raise rev limiter.

bought the car at 40k now has 64k and ive been changing the oil every 3k with synth Mobil 1 1030 and using premium 93 gas.

the guy who had the car before me probably didnt take very great care of it judging from the nasty air filter i pulled out. and i would think he wasnt using synthetic oil, but i dont know.

All mods were done were done around 62k i do remember putting a little oil in before that 1 time about 1/4-1/3 quart.
now ive already used a whole quart and still 1500 miles to next oil change.

planning a cobra intake and 65mm throttle body soon.

Any ideas i would really appriciate.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
This is just a suggestion but have you checked your PCV? When I first got my car, I went to autozone and did a total tune-up. I also bought one of their cheapo PCV valves. It was a metal one. I started to burn 1 quart of oil every 800 miles. I didn't know where my oil was going. I didn't see any blue smoke and I didn't see any oil in my coolant or coolant in my oil. I was stumped. I then had a friend tell me to replace the PCV valve and the rubber grommet that it sit in and guess what? It fixed my problem. No more oil loss. Now I add about half a quart every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Try switching to a non synthetic oil. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic for a while, but it started using about a quart every 1500 miles, so I switched back to a semi-synthetic and it doesnt use a drop between oil changes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Try switching to a non synthetic oil. I used Mobil 1 full synthetic for a while, but it started using about a quart every 1500 miles, so I switched back to a semi-synthetic and it doesnt use a drop between oil changes

Second that. Synth oil ain't worth a dime IMO. Over priced and over rated, and the last oil one needs to run in a high mileage engine. It's too thin. Put some Castrol 10w-30 in there and ride on!!:cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
does synthetic oil burn black smoke like the traditional oil though? I was told if you switch to synthetic you won't notice a car burning oil?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Let's face it boys.. stangs don't like champaign their beer drinkers.. head that the reason why 5.0 taxis run for ever is that the engine is not that tight.. so not a lot of wear. Well that super slippery stuff just washes past you rings. When I tried it I also developed oil leaks. Went back to good old 10-30 and the leak was gone. With the money you save just change it more often. putting in a clean filter more often will do you better than the fancy oil..

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I've been running synthetic oil in my 5.0 for the past year and I don't have any problems. I ran Castrol Syntec in my 90 5.0 with 125K miles and I didn't have a problem either. No oil burning, no nothing. When I was using oil in this car, it was my PCV.

It's not always the synthetic oil. If you do a search, you'll find just as many people run well with synthetic as you find some that develop leaks. I run this car hard and I'm pushing close to 400 rwhp. With my synthetics, I have no problem whatsoever.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well this damn forum killed my post and when i hit the back button it was gone so here goes for a second time around...LOL

Take out your pcv valve and look into the hole it sits in. I'm not sure if sn95's have this but on fox body cars there is a mesh screen called the spark arrestor in that hole that gets clogged and will do the exact same thing as a bad/clogged pcv valve.
I had a problem on my 92GT with valve cover gaskets always leaking (even when brand new) and it turns out the spark arrestor was TOTALLY clogged!!!
Any ford dealer (or 50resto.com) has it. Ford calls it the "Spark arrestor" but i think 50resto calls it "the mesh screen under your pcv"..LOL
Hope that helps
Mike

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
quick5pnt0 said:
Well this damn forum killed my post and when i hit the back button it was gone so here goes for a second time around...LOL

Take out your pcv valve and look into the hole it sits in. I'm not sure if sn95's have this but on fox body cars there is a mesh screen called the spark arrestor in that hole that gets clogged and will do the exact same thing as a bad/clogged pcv valve.
I had a problem on my 92GT with valve cover gaskets always leaking (even when brand new) and it turns out the spark arrestor was TOTALLY clogged!!!
Any ford dealer (or 50resto.com) has it. Ford calls it the "Spark arrestor" but i think 50resto calls it "the mesh screen under your pcv"..LOL
Hope that helps
Mike
The SN95s have it too. I changed mine when I did my tune up too.

Henry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts