Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searches but didn't find the specific answer needed. I have a 94 GT convertible and I'm changing the intake. I have access to either an explorer intake or a factory 94 cobra intake. The 94 convertible has the factory strut tower brace. The cobra intake doesn't require the intake elbow, and if it fits under the hood it may be cheaper in the long run to buy the cobra intake. If I buy the cobra intake I won't need the elbow or a different brace? Ford made cobra convertibles so I assume the factory brace worked. All help appreciated.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
The OEM strut tower brace will not fit with any intake other than the OEM GT intake.
That’s why cobras don’t have a sttut tower brace.

The Maximum Motorsports strut tower brace will fit the taller intakes though. A few others manufacturers have stb’s that will also fit, depending on the intake.

Reactions: 90lxwhite

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design

Thanks for the input. Found this picture in the forums showing a brace but it isn't the factory brace!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think Ford Motorsport (FRPP) used to sell a replacement and that is the one I bought when I installed a Cobra Intake. Maximum Motorsports is probably the nicest.

Reactions: sn95gts331

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
View attachment 1079494
Thanks for the input. Found this picture in the forums showing a brace but it isn't the factory brace!
correct, if you want to retain a STB after swapping intakes, you must use an aftermarket.

I personally use the MM

Reactions: sn95gts331

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think Ford Motorsport (FRPP) used to sell a replacement and that is the one I bought when I installed a Cobra Intake. Maximum Motorsports is probably the nicest.
I had a BBK strut tower brace, and once my engine mounts broke in the bar hit my intake. It made a chattering noise so once I realized what it was I immediately pulled the brace off. Ordered a Maximum Motorsports brace and it's hasn't given me any problems, has much better quality, and clearance.

If you can't source an old strut tower brace made for the 1995 Cobra R's with the 351, then I'd get the MM piece like others have stated since it's the best one.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,413 Posts
View attachment 1079494
@efimav

You’re correct… ^^^ that image is of my engine bay of my 94 Cobra (still looks exactly like that too).

The STB as seen on my 94 Cobra is an original Ford Motorsport part (that’s what the group was called then, where now it’s Ford Performance). It’s the only “Ford” STB that will work on a 1994/95 and clear any of the GT40 style of upper intakes as well as some of the other aftermarket intakes.

That STB offered by Ford Motorsport of the time period was modeled after the 1995 Cobra R STB. The below images show a genuine factory production 1995 Cobra R engine bay with the specific 95R STB. The difference between an original 95R STB and the 94/95 Ford Motorsport counterpart is where the forward tubes are tied at the strut towers. The genuine 95R STB has steel overlapping the corners of the tubes where it attached to the strut towers; the aftermarket 94/95 Ford Motorsport STB has flattened steel corners that mount to the upper strut towers. It can clearly be seen when comparing the below images of the 95R STB to the 94/95 Ford Motorsport STB in my above engine bay image.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system

Car Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Aside from the super rare 95R STB being found anywhere for sale today, the 94/95 Ford Motorsport STB is also quite rare, just not as rare as the 95R STB. The 94/95 Ford Motorsport STB wasn’t really a hot item back then and it’s no longer available retail, unless you find it used or NOS on eBay, Mustang forums or other social media markets.

Maximum Motorsports had a nice 94/95 STB if you’re looking for a good quality STB.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@efimav

You’re correct… ^^^ that image is of my engine bay of my 94 Cobra (still looks exactly like that too).

The STB as seen on my 94 Cobra is an original Ford Motorsport part (that’s what the group was called then, where now it’s Ford Performance). It’s the only “Ford” STB that will work on a 1994/95 and clear any of the GT40 style of upper intakes as well as some of the other aftermarket intakes.

That STB offered by Ford Motorsport of the time period was modeled after the 1995 Cobra R STB. The below images show a genuine factory production 1995 Cobra R engine bay with the specific 95R STB. The difference between an original 95R STB and the 94/95 Ford Motorsport counterpart is where the forward tubes are tied at the strut towers. The genuine 95R STB has steel overlapping the corners of the tubes where it attached to the strut towers; the aftermarket 94/95 Ford Performance STB has flattened steel corners that mount to the upper strut towers. It can clearly be seen when comparing the below images of the 95R STB to the 94/95 Ford Performance STB in my above engine bay image.
View attachment 1079588

View attachment 1079589

Aside from the super rare 95R STB being found anywhere for sale today, the 94/95 Ford Motorsport STB is also quite rare, just not as rare as the 95R STB. The 94/95 Ford Motorsport STB wasn’t really a hot item back then and it’s no longer available retail, unless you find it used or NOS on eBay, Mustang forums or other social media markets.

Maximum Motorsports had a nice 94/95 STB if you’re looking for a good quality STB.
Thanks for the pics and response. I was able to find a Cobra upper and lower intake. I’ll see what I can find used!

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
The MM piece really isn’t that expensive.
I can post pics of it installed if you want.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,413 Posts
Well, on a convertible there is considerable cowl shake - even if one does not notice it visually while driving. With the STB (any type that resembles the Ford unit or Maximum Motorsports unit) bridges the strut towers and reinforces the towers reducing flex of not only the towers but the cowling.

The verts should also have reinforcement rails under the rockers as well as a K-member brace that goes behind the oil pan.

You can also further improve suspension rigidity by installing a set of subframe connectors. Again Maximum Motorsports or Wild Rides make an excellent set of sub frame connectors.

With a coupe, an STB will firm up the tower flex more than any cowl flex, because the roof of a coupe reinforces cowl flex by being tied into the A-pillars. A coupe will also benefit from any sub-frame connectors and/or any type of K-member bracing.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Well, on a convertible there is considerable cowl shake - even if one does not notice it visually while driving. With the STB (any type that resembles the Ford unit or Maximum Motorsports unit) bridges the strut towers and reinforces the towers reducing flex of not only the towers but the cowling.

The verts should also have reinforcement rails under the rockers as well as a K-member brace that goes behind the oil pan.

You can also further improve suspension rigidity by installing a set of subframe connectors. Again Maximum Motorsports or Wild Rides make an excellent set of sub frame connectors.

With a coupe, an STB will firm up the tower flex more than any cowl flex, because the roof of a coupe reinforces cowl flex by being tied into the A-pillars. A coupe will also benefit from any sub-frame connectors and/or any type of K-member bracing.
My Dad had a ‘97 GT convertible for awhile & I don’t recall it having a strut brace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts