Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the SVT Cobra Hood that is used factory on the 1994 to 1998 Mustang Cobra's better and a lot lighter then the 1994 Stock GT hood. I know it looks nicer but what about weight. The GT hood is HEAVY!

·
Registered
351 Posts
come on, somebody help venom 302 out! besides, i'm kinda interested in this one too. i had a guy tell me his factory cobra hood was carbon fiber so i told him he was full of **it. i didn't think ford would spend that kind of cash for a hood but it is SVT so maybe. whats the dilly??

·
Registered
529 Posts
well, I have a 96-98 cobra hood on my 94 gt. I do believe it is a bit lighter but not enough to matter. If that is what you are after, you are wasting your time. Also, it won't clear the stock strut tower brace without some major massaging, and I do mean major massaging. it also wont clear the frpp gt40/cobra brace (found that out the hard way). in spite of it all, I think it adds enough in looks alone. It looks really tough. and you can usually find one cheaper then any other decent looking hood.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Homer302

Thanks,

Was it easy to install. Besides the fact it won't clear strut tower braces.

What Brace will it clear?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Not hard to install at all. It just bolted right on. without a brace on there there are no other issues. As far as what brace will fit, I couldn't tell you. i have a gt40 intake so I had to change braces anyway. I ended up making 2 cuts in the front bar on the frpp gt40 brace and turn it down enough to clear and then re-weld it. After some minor grinding and painting, no one can tell unless they look really close. i wasn't going to buy yet another brace and take a chance it won't fit. you are on your own there. hope I was some help.

·
11,090 Posts
Just a clarification:
The 94 and 95 cobras have the same hood as the 94~98 gt's.

The 96~98 cobras have hoods with "nostrils".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts