Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Corral Charter Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

i know I have seen threads on here about some owners of 94/95 5.0's having actual fire related events due to the fuel lines at or near the engine.

My Cobra was in storage for the winter months and only driven sporadically and just recently I have noticed a strong raw gasoline smell coming from under the hood.

Today, while the car was @ idle, parked & running upon coming home from work, I popped the hood to check things out. I can definitely, without a doubt smell raw gasoline around or near the passenger side of the engine. I've looked up and down, lookng at all of the injectors, looking at the fuel pressure regulator, looking at the hard black fuel lines coming from the front chassis up into the engine bay and connect to the fuel rail and I have looked at the forward gray fuel hose that connects the front L & R fuel rail together.

I cannot for the life of me see any FLUID anywhere.... My entire engine bay is SUPER CLEAN and I don't see any wet spots on the engine, on the sides of the valve covers, on the top of the lower intake, etc. I can and without a doubt smell raw gas and it's DEFINITELY 100% coming from the passenger side of the engine.

Am I missing an area or part to check???

What exactly is the problem area that either ruptures, breaks, or becomes the source of a fuel leak??

I've NEVER had this issue ever with the Cobra - nor have I EVER had the issue with ANY prior Fox 5.0 Mustang. Also to note, my fuel system has NEVER been tampered with and nothing in, near or around the engine bay fuel lines or fuel rails has ever been touched either. The only thing I've ever done with the fuel system is change the filter at the rear of the vehicle.

Please post up those of you who have had to repair or fix this type of problem!

Oh, what is the little chrome fuel regulator looking thingy that is in between the one black fuel line (near the passenger side oil fill tube)??? Do those things go bad?? NOT the fuel pressure regulator, this thing is FORWARD of the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
257 Posts
How about the canister thing that is in your passenger fender...I have read that could make it smell like gas...someone else might be able to explain better

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
You need to quit cleaning your engine and let it get dirty like mine so you can locate the wet spots. All I can think of on the passenger side fuel rail forward of the FPR is the schraeder valve, but that just looks like a valve stem with a black cap. I guess those could possibly go bad. Good luck finding the leak, I hate to see another car ruined from a fuel leak.

Brian

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My car leaked from the black rubber lines that come from the fuel hadlines on the firewall. Those lines LOOK and feel like a hard rubber, but actually they have nylon lining. And over the years of heat cycles and with us taking them on and off while installing stuff they get brittle and crack.
You may only smell the gas because its not leaking enough to drip from those lines...yet. It could be the charcoal cannister too but I'd lean towads it being a problem towards those lines first. So check 'em out because if they break they will leak a lot of gas FAST.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MrBiggs -

Are those lines replacable - does Ford still stock/sell them, or how did you go about fixing your leak? From what I know, those are high pressure lines, right?

As for those who said the charcoal canister - no, I actually smell it up and around the passenger side of the engine, in the vicinity of those black hard lines - but so far, cannot see any physical evidence of a leak... ?? I mean, the odor is STRONG, RAW gas - just like if one were to pour fuel out of a container...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cobra Jet NJ
You can probably find those lines at rockauto.com I have found many hard to find part here, and they have good prices.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stop driving the car now!!!!! My car has been on fire before and it was after sitting in a garage for a while. The guy who owned the car at the time cranked the car to pull it out of the garage and on the first fire of the engine it erupted. It sprayed fuel on the distrubutor! The car now only has 65,000 miles and has since been fixed and all the non metal fuel lines and engine wiring replaced. Luckily the guy had an extinguisher beside the car and put the fire out before anything else was damaged. If I was you I would just replace any non metal fuel lines before something bad happens because it seems to be too common of a problem.
I'm not sure where to find the lines since I didn't actually fix the car. I wish I could help more. I just know it's better safe than sorry

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
MrBiggs -

Are those lines replacable - does Ford still stock/sell them, or how did you go about fixing your leak? From what I know, those are high pressure lines, right?

As for those who said the charcoal canister - no, I actually smell it up and around the passenger side of the engine, in the vicinity of those black hard lines - but so far, cannot see any physical evidence of a leak... ?? I mean, the odor is STRONG, RAW gas - just like if one were to pour fuel out of a container...
Yeah they are replaceable... and they are high pressure since it comes straight from the fuel pump up to the rail. I bought mine from MPS (freakin ripoff artists :( ) because I couldnt find a dealer that had them in stock and I was afraid they were out of production so I went the salvage route even though that may not be the best idea either now that I look back. I think now that I'm thinking about it I'll try and find an aftermarket replacement since I'm not under the gun with getting the car back on the road.

Anyway, mine broke right before the connector on the rail so so when it let go it dripped gas pretty obviously and the car wasn't hot or running so there was no danger there. I was just checking for fuel pressure at the time.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Mine broke at the fuel rail connector.

Picture the connector like a vacuum tee. Where the connector stopped inside the nylon hose is where my hole was.

Those rubber hoses are actually two layers, one outer and one inner. The inner one is the one that gets a hole in it and leaks but the outer one may be hiding the leak.

Look in those other threads for links to your necessary replacement parts and fix those hoses NOW. Do not drive it until you fix it, I guarantee you have a leak, the gas is just gumming up inside the outer hose and not ever leaking out. (what mine did)

I just checked, looks like Ron Morris performance (where I got my replacements) may be no more...

I actually didn't find the leak until I took the fuel rail off to push it aside and it started spraying at me with the leftover pressure, but it didn't leak in the "installed position".

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Corral Charter Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies & help everyone - please do keep the comments coming, it's all helpful to others as well.

Oh, and I'm surely not driving the vehicle until this problem is resolved!

~~~

I am going to check over the entire engine bay & all fuel lines again tonight to see if I or my buddy can find the source of the raw fuel - it's definitely raw fuel - but where it is coming from, I don't know YET.

I will also look over those black high pressure lines again too and see if the internal or inner line is what is possibly leaking - that makes perfect sense if the outer is just a casing or shield and the inner is prone to cracking or leaking.

IF the inner hose is bad, cracked, leaking etc - WHERE does one get replacements OR what can be used as reaplcements (besides getting another set of used lines from parts vendors or private sellers)??

Are there many other cases or instances out there of this happening? I'm just surprised that it's not been brought up to the NHTSA for investigation. I've never experienced a problem as such on the prior 86-93 5.0's - why - and why does it seem to be a problem on the 94/95's??

For those who HAVE had fires related to the problem, did any of you contact Ford about this - and if so, what was the response?

·
Registered
469 Posts
You have cats on the car? You sure you're not just running rich for some reason and smell it that way?

·
Corral Charter Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have cats on the car? You sure you're not just running rich for some reason and smell it that way?
It's definitely not running rich at all - I went to the rear of the vehicle and got down to the tailpipe level while the car was idling and I can't smell any fuel fumes or raw fuel odor coming from the tailpipes. The source of the odor is all under the hood 100% - it was also blatantly obvious once I had popped the hood last night as well at how much stronger the fumes were at that point.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm almost positive it's what is described here. Mine 94 just did the same thing. The hose that goes to that cylinder in the pics just crumbled in my hands as it has gas vapors going through it. Mine smelled so bad in the engine bay too and since I replaced the hoses, zero smell!

Their is a black rubber hose about 5/16 the goes from the canister through a valve then to the intake the hose my be cracked

look at this thread
http://www.corral.net/forums/showpost.php?p=6705175&postcount=21

·
Corral Charter Member
11,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Their is a black rubber hose about 5/16 the goes from the canister through a valve then to the intake the hose my be cracked

look at this thread
http://www.corral.net/forums/showpost.php?p=6705175&postcount=21
Does anyone have the actual pics that were in the above linked thread? I went to the link, but all of the pics that were there are not showing up anymore.

Also, some other related questions:

Can the (2) stock black fuel lines in the engine bay that come from the steel chassis lines to the fuel rail be replaced with braided stainless steel lines? If this can be accomplished, how does one do this? Are there special fittings I need to source out, or is there an actual kit available for the 5.0's?

Thanks in advance for all of the help too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What you need to do is find it and here's how. Hot wire the fuel pump. Its not that hard with some jumpers. Run wires from a 12V constant to the pump. Let that sucker run until you find it. This will be done with the motor off of course. Shouldn't be all that hard. You'll end up with a puddle in about 2 minutes if there is a leak. Get a flashlight and start looking. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Good luck

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Seems like someone would make braided stainless lines with the correct ford fittings on each end so it would be a simple plug-n-play system. I went to that performanceplumbing site and their ford kit looks like it has the ford fittings for one end and some kind of brass for the other.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Those lines arent the "quick-disconnect" type are they?

Nobody makes a set like that?

Maybe thats good though.... trying to take mine off the rail fitting is how I broke one of mine a while back.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts