Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a 93, 2.3L, stick. I have replaced both ignition coils, wire, plugs, ignition control module, fuel pump, fuel level sender, clock spring, exhaust manifold. Replaced o-rings on injectors, replaced fuel pressure regulator. Then deleted EGR and put fooler plug on it. I cleaned inside of intake - it was nasty. I sprayed MAF cleaner on MAF. New air filter. Put silicone grease on everything. I ran codes, got 11, 111, 332. I believe 11 and 111 are the ok codes and 332 is the EGR. When the reader gave me the 10 code, I pushed gas pedal to the floor and let up. Car started up multiple times yesterday and drove great. This morning cranks but no start. During the past weeks , 90% of the time all it will do is crank and not run. Every now and then it will run. I am ready to loose my mind.

· Registered
3,887 Posts
when it doesn't start, pull a vacuum hose off of the intake and spray some carb cleaner down in the nipple, then try to start. If it fires off, you have a fuel issue. If not, spark.

A fuel pump or more specifically lack of fuel pressure will not throw a code unless the volume is low, and the engine under load. Usually on a 2.3 you won't notice it, until the engine just dies. I ran into this on the way home from Dallas a while back in mine (also 2.3). It was a little weaker than normal (normal is weak anyway so it's hard to tell) and finally about 2 hours out from the house the CEL came on. I limped it on home with a lean condition. Fuel pump hose failed, split causing a loss of fuel pressure but only under load. Interestingly enough, after replacing the pump, the new one also failed but this time it would not start at all-just cranked over.

Another possibility is spark related. If you ain't got no spark when it won't start, then you might look at the crank sensor. It's buried down behind the front pulley; gotta take the pulley off and then you can get right to it. I've had one of those die too and does exactly what yours does-starts sometimes, other times not.

One last thought. Timing belt. If it's old and ain't been replaced in a while, might be a good time to do that as they'll often lose a tooth or two and then will only occasionally run. If you have to put a belt on it get the kit with the tensioner and you'll be set. They last a long time but not forever. If the new one fails at some point, it'll be in warranty as the last Dayco belt set I bought had a lifetime warranty on it, and it did fail (but not by wearing out), parts store replaced it-free. Granted it wasn't all that expensive and not hard to change it but it was a nice gesture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts