Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to chime in here?
I have a gt40 lower with the F4 casting #. It has factory 3/8” rear water jacket ports as well as factory ACT port up front. I was under the impression F4 = 1994. Any insight appreciated.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Wood Tire
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Rim Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Font
Bumper Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas Cable
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Maybe it’s an Explorer lower?
Nope, those are f8

apparently it is a 94/95 cobra, but I can’t explain the ACT hole.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Did the Explorers of that vintage use the exhaust passage through the manifold for the EGR? The '94-'95 Mustang 5 liter used an EGR with an external exhaust supply from the passenger side header, therefore no exhaust passage through the manifold.

Jay

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Nope, those are f8

apparently it is a 94/95 cobra, but I can’t explain the ACT hole.
The lower can be 27 years old, someone other than the factory likely tapped and threaded the lower like many do with the explorer lowers.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The Explorer ran 1996-2001, the first year and a half had internal EGR. I wonder if the 94/95 Mustangs had that lower passage for some time, Ford likes to use old parts in newest models, to empty the parts bins.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a factory tapped job. You can see the recess of the cast hole that was present prior to tapping. I'll take a some close up pics when i get home.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you look closely you can see the rough casting marks around the inside of all three ports.

ACT
Eye Eyelash Bicycle part Snout Rim

rear water
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part

Rear water
Household hardware Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
I found some photos of the F4 lower on the Facebook Ford Motorsport Group. They have the boss the rear coolant ports and the act boss, but not drilled/tapped.

Reactions: Nemo6007

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
I have a theory.

I have an F87E-BA (explorer) lower with the same holes drilled from the factory. Bear with me.

White Black Grey Line Font
Gas Wood Auto part Close-up Monochrome

The F8 explorer lower never came factory drilled. We know this because there are countless threads about drilling out ACT bosses when putting an Explorer lower on a fox body. But i assure you, this one DID come from Ford with the rear coolant ports and ACT hole drilled and tapped.

The reason I say that is because I know the origins of this lower. It was never installed on an Explorer. This is a catalog 1993 cobra intake I purchased brand new in 1998 from the Ford catalog for a whopping $399. I still have the upper intake which is on my car today, but the lower I am currently using is a different explorer lower that I had ported and had to drill out the ACT hole myself. The photos above are the original kit lower intake as delivered from Ford at the time.

I have NO idea when Ford started offering the 93 Cobra and GT40 intake in kit form. This would sink my theory if they were not available prior to the F87E intake being available. The Ford kit would need a lower intake manifold and would draw from whatever lowers were in use at the time.

just a theory all predicated on when the catalog 93 cobra/tubular GT40 intakes were available.

edit: looks like the GT40 intake could be purchased from the catalog around 1991. Does mean there possible was a point it shipped with an F4 lower. The early lowers were F2ZE-9K461-AA part number

Some additional pics of the kit intake manifold
Art Wood Font Snout Monochrome
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rectangle Font Automotive wheel system
Organism Art Font Auto part Metal

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
I managed to confirm the above.

GT40 tubular did ship for a time with a F4 lower that was drilled/tapped. It then later changed to the F8 lower when that became available.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've had many versions of the "gt40" lower with matching part numbers and different features. The biggest being short or long baffle. Ford assembled or sent out whatever they could get their hands on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Doesn't the RF mean not normal production? Usually it means a service part but I can easily see that chain also being used for Motorsports parts that were normal production prior to that.

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
I don’t know the meaning of “RF”

The explorer lower I ended up porting and using on my car was taken directly from a used vehicle. The intake on that is the same part number as the intake I bought in the cobra intake kit. Both have an RF in front of the part number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
So, I have to jump in on this one. Here are some pics of a '93 Cobra lower that I bought with the upper from a friend that bought it new and never got around to installing. It was ordered through a Ford dealership.

It has only made the trip to the Moss's for the port job. I haven't installed it due to running into health issues right after I got it back. It is completely virgin other than the port work.
Bicycle part Rim Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Font Bicycle part Auto part Metal Nickel
Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Nickel Silver
Water Liquid Sculpture Whiskers Snout
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
That’s interesting.

So that was purchased as an replacement 1993 cobra intake and not the Ford racing cobra intake kit? They used the early big baffle explorer lower but only drilled the ACT.

Mine was the same explorer part number, but had them all drilled out and it uses the small baffle underneath

Looks like Ford configured these things quite a few different ways

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
Dug out my old Ford Racing catalog circa 2003 to take a trip down memory lane.

Looks like Ford also offered the gt40 lower separately without an upper (M-9461-A50) for $395

The 93 cobra kit was $495 in 2003 and the gt40 kit was $695.

Newspaper Publication Font Material property Newsprint

1 - 20 of 22 Posts