Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 5.0 is always losing coolant yet I never see a leak, the oil looks fine and no smoke from the tailpipes, on a 150 mile trip it will use almost all its coolant.

the radiator never has pressure, no water on carpet, I'm at a loss on this one, I would think I would see some leak but never have.

give me some ideas.

·
Registered
160 Posts
you could have a leaky head gasket just enough to where you don't see white smoke.My van done the same thing and it had a blowed head gasket.It was betwwen the water journal and the cilynder.Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
379 Posts
You could try using coolant dye to make sure its not an external leak. Most parts stores sell it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
It is either leaking internally OR externally.

A couple of checks YOU can do before seeking professional help:

EXTERNAL CHECK: Do you smell antifreeze in the engine compartment or around the vehicle, especially right after you have driven it? Occasionally a leak will develop, (many times on the back side of the engine), where it drips onto the exhaust pipe and burns off, not leaving anything to drip on the ground/floor. If this were the case - you MIGHT hear it sizzling IMMEDIATELY after you shut the vehicle off. If you were to try the dye trick it would, of course, help you to see that color on the exhaust part or?

INTERNAL CHECK: Warm engine just enough so that t-stat opens to allow flow to radiator. Remove rad cap, ( Remember to release the cap slowly in case it is hotter than you think and under some pressure). Have a helper throttle the engine a few times while you watch for bubbles inside the top of the rad. If you see bubbles there is a good chance you have a head gasket leak or air in the coolant system. Have it checked.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I have the same problem but not quite as severe. I noticed the wiring harness that runs underneath the water pump area had a green tint to it. Never saw a drop of coolant on the ground or any sign of a blown head gasket. Upon inspection the area underneath under the water pump was full of coolant that had evaporated (green crystals). Seems to only leak while driving (no drops while idling). Going to replace the water pump/gasket in the spring. Get underneath the car and do a thorough examination to rule out external leaks. Check to see if the passenger side header has a white film on it. If so your heater core has blown and is leaking coolant onto the header and evaporating (no drops on the ground).

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
also check the seep hole onthe firewall near you headers?or exhaust manifold. I had the same problem and my heater core was dumpiming it out the seep tube...if not check to make sure your radiator cap is pressure tested.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I'd Guess -- Heater Core. The drain tube for it drains onto the exhaust.

Get the car nice and hot, then put the Vents on HIGH FAN, slide the temp control to heat. Do you smell anti-freeze?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
turned out to be my heater core, and what a thrill it's going to be to change, is it really necessary to pull the dash to do it on a A/C equipped car.

heres another question cooling related, even after about 20 minutes of idling I can put my finger in the radiator and the coolant is only like luke warm, can running the motor this cool present any problems like running rich, I have a all aluminum radiator & stock fan, could it just be thats it's over cooling, Ive been considering converting to electric fans to get the temperature up, my car normally runs all the time at between the first and second line on the gauge is this also normal.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Do a search on heater core replacement. There's some good info. My core blew last summer so I have bypassed it for the time being. As for your temperature being low, my car runs in the same area as yours on the temp gauge. I'm still running a stock cooling system. 16 years later, still running strong!!!!

·
Registered
952 Posts
JProz35: Does the TOP RADIATOR hose feel the SAME TEMPERATURE as when you put your finger in the radiator? If it does then your thermostat is probably defective, (opening too soon).

If the top hose temp is so hot you can hardly hang onto it - then The system is probably O.K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts