Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot figure out why.
I don't drive it ona daily basis.......it is one of those weekend riders (if you know what I mean).

I don't "get on it" or go out and drag racing or anything.

But it seems by looking at the guage......it sucks a lot of gas.
I am noticing that if I am conservative in the refueling process the........when the guage get under a 1/4 I get gas.
It seems like the milage ranges between 117 - 130 mpg.

Is this right...........I know I don't have a leak or I'd smell or see gas leakage in the garage.

Wonder whats the deal?:confused:

Anybody else noticing this on their 5.0L? Or am I being paranoid?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
ReefBlue93GT said:

It seems like the milage ranges between 117 - 130 mpg.

:confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
He means per tank obviously.. and the same thing exactly is with mine. Im thinking Injectors, or clogged cats?

·
Registered
90 Posts
117-130? Heck. I would be happy with that. With 12 gallons, average tank, and getting 120 miles out of it that is 10 miles to a gallon. Which is bad for a basic stock or semi-modified car. Should be 14 to 16 city and 16 to 18 highway if I remember corractly. I am down to the 10 to 12 myself. But that is with my mods and one heck of a lead foot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe time for a tuneup? Have you ever replaced your O2 sensors? I've heard they can have an effect on gas mileage when they start to go south.

-Franklin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whytestang said:
Maybe time for a tuneup? Have you ever replaced your O2 sensors? I've heard they can have an effect on gas mileage when they start to go south.

-Franklin
I have had the injecytors cleaned........they are in good shape.
I have no cats:evil:

The O2 sensors.........not too sure about.
The car only has 52K miles to it.
I thought the O2 sensors would go until 60K.......to my understaning.

Don;t have a lead foot.......not always - only 20% of the time

It was tuned last year

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd replace the O2 sensors, and tune it (plugs/wires/cap/rotor) unless you've done so recently.
I just replaced my O2's with the new exhaust, so I can't comment on the mileage yet. I normally get 15mpg with a combo of city/highway driving. I'm not expecting much of a change because that's average for a stang, but I have dipped to ~10mpg some weeks when I've been heavy on the pedal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do the 86-93 5.OL has a history of poor gas milage ratio?

Obvioulsy......with my brothers 98GT (different engine/car all together) he gets a damn good gas milage ratio.

Just wondering.

How much do the O2 sensors cost for the mustangs?
I know they are not cheap for my Explorer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts