Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, when swapping a 90-93 dash in an 87-89, do the dash frames need to be changed, or just the dash plastic. Obviously, I have the entire 93 dash, with the protruded part under the steering wheel, and I will be reusing my 89 cluster. I can't think of any other questions at this point. I lined it up for a test fit, and it seemed *almost * a direct fit, but seemed like it might need some wrestling to work. I figured I'd come search/ ask the forums before I went any further.

thanks...

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
No, you don't need to change the frames. It will work fine. I swapped a black '90 dash into my car earlier this year.

When you lay the dash onto the frame, you will notice a small peice of plastic in the way underneath where the gauge pod would be. It looks as it it rests on the steering column. Well, it interferes so you need to cut that little protrusion off. You will NEVER see it when the dash is put on so don't worry.

After that is done, the dash will fit on perfectly.

90% of the bolts/screws will fit right back where they came out. The only place where it is different is near the driver's knees where Ford changed that area.

If you look though, the holes where you are supposed to put the screws have the frame butting up to the backside of it. So all i did was get a drill, drill a small hole and screw into the new hole. I think i had to do this to 3 or 4 screw holes. Peice of cake

As for the fuses. I don't like how they were mounted in plain sight on the 90-93's. So i just tucked them up around the dash. When i need to get to the fuses, i pull em down. But you could get the frame for them out of a 90-93 and mount them in the way of your left leg if you want.

After that, your original gauge pod and cluster bolt in fine. Also, your original steering column trim works also. That wasy you can keep the factory tilt and it looks good. I always get people asking me how i took the airbag out of my interior :D

If you have any more questions ask away.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good to know, thanks

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
dash boards

why did you switch to a black dash? did you do an interior swap & not like the color? i swapped out my red interior in my 88 for 89 grey gt interior & used a special interior dye & painted the dash & console black, taking apart each peice & painting them seperately. its been like that for 4 years now w/ not a chip or scratch & is armoralled often. this is alot easier than swapping an entire dash.

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
I bought a parts car that had a complete interior in it so I already had a dash. I know that dying the original dash would have worked, but i already had a dash and didn't have pateince to deal with dye.

It only took me two hours to swap the dash anyway. :cool:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
dash swap

looks awesome dude. ill be swapping black into my stang also. i was just wondering about the dash-why you changed it i mean.
i see you from Revere MA. im from southern NH. do you have other pics of you car?

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
Re: dash swap

harvester of sorrow said:
do you have other pics of you car?
Sure do!

In the spring/summer time a bunch of us from here and stangnet.com meet up and cruise to Hampton beach to hang out. We get 15-20 cars together and have a good time. Check out the northeast forums on here and stanget in the spring.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
pics

nice ride bro. my 88 is scarlet red w/ the black moldings around the car. its lowered w/ pony rims & has saleen wing. in the summer im at hampton often, maybe ill see you up there w/ my ride.i have an entire xtra grey interior & im thinking about dying all of that black & buying a black rug. know where i ca get real black int. cheap?

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
Re: pics

harvester of sorrow said:
know where i ca get real black int. cheap?
Cheap Black parts are hard to come by. I've several complete interiors sell for about $500-1000.

I lucked out on mine. I bought the entire car the black interior came in for $250 and thn parted i out after taking the interior. I just happened to stumble across that deal. I wouldn't een know where to find another score like that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts