Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between my LX 5.0's fronts and a 93 Cobras.....?

EDIT : I have stock brakes

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
The calipers are the same but the rotors are different. The "top hat" part of the rotor is approx. .75" taller than stock 87-93 5.0 rotors to make up for the track width from the disc brake rear. The rotor to pad surface area is the same as well as the diameter.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
You know when you put your rims on the car and you have to line up the holes in the rims with the wheel studs? When you push the rim flat against the rotor, that's what everyone is calling the "top hat". It's 3/4" wider on each side on the Cobra rotors than the GT's.
The rear axles are also 3/4" wider.
As Goodson said, the calipers are the same. Also, the master cylinder has a larger bore than the GT to compensate for the rear discs.

Lou.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Would this then be the space in the center of the wheel that when mounted looks kind of rounded in the center. If so for what purpose was it made wider? When and if I decide to switch to a 5 lug will it return to the GT's orriginal top hat size? I will be going with the Baer system by the way. Thanks Lou

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
The purpose of it being taller is to match the 0.75" offset of the rear disks. Disk brakes require the axles to be pushed out a bit more than drum brakes for the bracket to fit.

The offset you get all depends on what 5-lug setup you go with. Trust me, there are a few different ways to go about this.

If you do get the Baer setups (13"/12" or 12"/12") I beleive they use the GT offset which would pull the wheels in 0.75" on a Cobra to stock GT/LX offset.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts