Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i hope im placing this in the correct section, i have a 91 GT and recently my cluster went out,the ribbon broke (of course, it was a vital part, not the seeatbealt light,lol) found a really nice cluster out of a 4 banger and im familiar what has to be done (tach,speedometer etc) my question is and this probably hasn't been asked before, on a V8 cluster there is a resistor under the speedometer, on 4 cylinder clusters there is 2, one in the aforementioned spot and the other one to the left (when looking at the back of the cluster) towards the left middle,what is this resistor for and how come the V8 doesn't have it? the second resistor is attached to the oil pressure gauge,im horrible with electricity like 90 of everyone out there but im guessing because the 4 cyl has less pressure?? that resistor is there to adjust the gauge accordingly?

I have done some research online and this swap has been done many times with no issues,, i have enclose 2 pictures i found on the net, first is cluster V8 and the next cluster 4cyl, thank you much for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys, i hope im placing this in the correct section, i have a 91 GT and recently my cluster went out,the ribbon broke (of course, it was a vital part, not the seeatbealt light,lol) found a really nice cluster out of a 4 banger and im familiar what has to be done (tach,speedometer etc) my question is and this probably hasn't been asked before, on a V8 cluster there is a resistor under the speedometer, on 4 cylinder clusters there is 2, one in the aforementioned spot and the other one to the left (when looking at the back of the cluster) towards the left middle,what is this resistor for and how come the V8 doesn't have it? the second resistor is attached to the oil pressure gauge,im horrible with electricity like 90 of everyone out there but im guessing because the 4 cyl has less pressure?? that resistor is there to adjust the gauge accordingly?

I have done some research online and this swap has been done many times with no issues,, i have enclose 2 pictures i found on the net, first is cluster V8 and the next cluster 4cyl, thank you much for any input.
I am in the middle of a 4cyl to V8 swap right now and I was bench testing my two clusters. I observed that when I energized the cluster, the oil pressure gauge on the 91GT very rapidly pegged to no oil pressure. However the 93 4cylinder gauge rather lazily pegged at zero when power was applied. It’s possible that that resistor just limits current to the gauge to make it less responsive?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you much for your input,that makes a lot of sense and it kinda confirms my suspicions,4 cyl to V8 swap? man you have your hands full,been there done that many years ago, they are fun though specially when your done and see what you accomplished,if you dont mind me asking, how do you energize the cluster out of the car? do you have some extra cluster pigtails you can hook up to a battery? id like to do that and check a few things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you much for your input,that makes a lot of sense and it kinda confirms my suspicions,4 cyl to V8 swap? man you have your hands full,been there done that many years ago, they are fun though specially when your done and see what you accomplished,if you dont mind me asking, how do you energize the cluster out of the car? do you have some extra cluster pigtails you can hook up to a battery? id like to do that and check a few things.
So when I pulled my cluster from the donor car I cut out the connectors and about 6 inches of the dash wiring, dunno if those are easily available to you or not but grab em if you can. You might be able to get in there with alligator clips, but I would be nervous about scratching off the contact surface of the ribbon. using a ohm-meter or just visually follow the IGN traces back to the pin on the ribbon is where you apply +12 and the GND trace is ground. This will power up the gauges. For some reason the traces are split, so applying +12 to one of the connectors powers up the TACH, TEMP, VOLTAGE gauges and the other connector powers up OIL and FUEL.

Yes the swap has been fun, I have an extra little wrinkle in that my donor car was a 91 and the 4banger is a 93 so its not a complete plug and play swap, I had to make my own fuel pump relay conversion harness because of the differences between the years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool,thank you for the info,yeah that whole swap has to be done preferably with same year cars on certain years, makes the swap a little easier but it sounds like you have a handle on everything,i cant wait to get my cluster in, supposed to be in tomorrow so haven't driven my car in a few days, i have a 89 and a 91 and my 91 is my DD,has been for a couple of decades,lol,where i live these cars are a rarity now,i also have a 95 Bird and there is this salvage i go to and about 3 months ago there was a little 4 banger and for some crazy reason i didn't jump all over it and cabbaged onto as much as i could and now its gone, i guess i was busy getting parts for my T bird.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts